Friday, December 12, 2008

Stripes....

I haven't been happy with our "hallway" for a while. I put hallway in quotes because technically it's probably not a hallway at all. It's more like a small path leading from one area to the next. Wait...is that the definition of hallway? I'll have to look into that.

Anyway...I decided that stripes were exactly what this space needed! Something to liven it up! This is a kids' space! Backpacks, coats, hats and lunch bags are hung in this area so whether we are coming or going this space is always visited by three little one's. So, I tested different colors. A darker shade of our existing wall color, a light shade of blue, and white...

I decided to go with the darker shade of our current wall color. I didn't want it to feel too circus-like. So, with ruler, level, and pencil in hand, I measured and taped off my stripes. I'm not going to lie to you, this was A LOT of work!!

A LOT!

But once that part was done it was pretty straight forward...

I sealed the seams of the tape with the current wall color so that the new color would not leak out. I'm super picky about having a perfectly straight line! Then I started to paint the new stripes...

All finished! Just waiting for the paint to dry...


I hung all of the kids' photos back where I originally had them and am very pleased with the result! It added just the right amount of fun to this very small, but very used space!



14 comments:

Layla said...

Gorgeous!

I have a similar treatment in my Reading Room...stop by sometime and check it out! :-)

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

kimmcl said...

Absotlute beautiful Karla. You really scored with that idea! I'm a perfectionist like you - what did you mean by "sealing" the paint at the seems? It turned out awesome! ~~Kim

Karla said...

Layla - I love your reading room! I wish I had a space to make a cozy reading nook in! Thanks so much for the compliment! :)

Kimmcl - Sealing the seams: Put up all of your tape where you want it to go. Make sure that you have adhered it as well as you can. Using the base color on your wall, paint along the tape line where you will be painting the new striped color. Let it dry. Then paint your stripe color. When you remove the tape you will get a perfectly-perfect line because none of the stripe color will have seeped down under the tape beyond the line.

Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I'll try to explain better! :) And thanks so much for the compliment!

~Karla

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia said...

Oh, I want to do this! Too bad I'm moving next year.

Lizet and Adrian said...

Hi,

I found your blog by googling horizontal stripes on walls. I absolutely love your hallway! I want to do something similiar on one of the walls in my dining room. Would you mind sharing the paint colors you used? My email is gomezliz_19@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Lizet

Lizet and Adrian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaime said...

So much fun- I love stripes!! So glad I came across your blog!

Anonymous said...

Karla, I absolutley love what you've done. 5*'s. I was wondering, where did you get that great sign 'paradise found' ? I totally want one.

vicky lee said...

I painted my ensuite bathroom the exact same. Looks great.

Traci said...

Karla-
I LOVE this hallway SO MUCH!!! I'm in the process of trying to plan out how I'm going to create something similar in my home.

I dedicated a post to you! Come check it out! =)

Gina Marie said...

My sister and co-blogger loved your idea! Come see her version!

http://twolittlechickadees.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=22

Soda in a Sippy Cup said...

I LOVE This look! Can you please share what paint colors you used?!

Kristina said...

I love this as well!! We did something similar in our kitchen below the chair rail. I would also love to know the colors that you used!

Brandi said...

that's a great idea to "seal the seams". I wish I read your comments before I started my project!!!!