Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Little Things...

It really is the little things that make a house a home...

Making your home a personal reflection of you requires adding objects that you love! I'm a fan of the BIG stores as much as the next girl, but it's those items that you can't find in every major store across America that make me
oh so happy!

When I saw this gorgeous makeover by Candice Olson on HGTV quite a while back, I quickly fell in love with most of the major elements in this shiny new kitchen!

But it was a small, overlooked accessory that really caught my attention and I have wanted one to call my own ever since!

Despite my efforts to find it online, I have no idea where it came from, if it is an antique or a reproduction, what it's original use was, or if it is something that can be purchased online.

Whatever the intended use, I love that it is now being used as a silverware holder! It is set close to the eating area and provides easy access for someone to set the table without having to walk through the kitchen while the cook is preparing the meal!
Perfect for helpful kids!

Have you ever come across something that you wanted to know more about, but all paths lead to nowhere? Do you have an item or two on your wish list that you can't find the source for?

If anyone has any bits of knowledge about this item, I would love to hear from you!

For now, I think I will try my hand at my own reproduction of it.
I'll let you know how it goes!


kellymb said...

I love Candace Olsen.. and that silverware caddy is perfect! I hope that you find one, or are successul in making your own!

MeganSloan said...

I don't know where it came from but I'm sure you could make it! It is really cute! I noticed the lighting.. love it!

Momovthree said...

Oh, I hope you find it! What a great piece. Candace always has the best accessories! Maybe you can make one?

There was a light in our kitchen two houses ago that I miss like crazy. I loved it and my husband refused to take it down before we moved. I knew the new owner wouldn't mind if we replaced it, it was an iron looking floral chandelier. My husband said no biggie, we'll just buy another after we moved. Well, they discontinued it and we searched Ebay for months with no luck. I was so upset....upset that he was too lazy to take it down and even more upset because I'm sure the one we left is rotting in a landfill somewhere. I still keep my eye out for it on Ebay. Maybe someday I'll find it.

Anonymous said...

here's a dirty little secret about Candice... her show has no budget - and the homeowners get an itemized billed at the end (a friend was on the show and not happy)... anything they can not afford goes back to the store! It is a total shame that they are not up-front and honest, because, really - there is no reason for her rooms not to look perfect when you have any amount of money that you want to spend "for the camera" - also has anyone ever noticed that ALL of her rooms look the same - she is not capable of doing a design "for the homeowner" - it is her design all the way... that is NOT the mark of a good designer... you should NEVER know who "designed" a room - it should reflect the homeowners 100%. Okay - just my two cents. -Beth

Reese & Marie said...

Hi Karla,

Thanks for always commenting on my blog. I love yours and will be back to visit. I too loved that accessory in Candice's kitchen design! I'm sure you've googled the heck out of it, but I'll try too and if I find anything, I'll be sure to let you know!

Take care,

marty39 said...

That really is a cute piece and how practical would it be. Have no idea where to find one, but I can't wait to see the one you make. Hugs, Marty

DesignTies said...

Found it for ya :-)

Bistro cutlery holder
Stacaro Home
225 King Street East
Toronto, Ontario

The Divine Design web site has very thorough lists of all items used in each room featured on the show. The web site isn't all that user friendly, but if you're persistent, you can usually find what you're looking for :-)

I found a chandelier that I loved on the Horchow website 1-1/2 years ago. I spent about 4 months trying to track it down somewhere local and for a better price. I eventually did find a store here that could order it, but it was going to cost about $730. I kept looking, and then found it on the Bellacor website for $430. Even with the exchange rate, duty, etc., it came to about $500 -- so I was happy about that!! The chandelier is now hanging in the living room, and I love it :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Felicia said...

I love it too :) Candace is always inspirational :)

DesignTies said...

Pizza rocks!! :-)

Happy to help you out with the cutlery holder info :-) Candice is really good about listing everything she uses in a room, so you can almost always find whatever it is you're looking for on her website.

I suspect the holder is probably over-priced, but it's a starting point at least. I'm sure you could make something just as good, if not better, for a fraction of the cost :-)


Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Hi, I found you from Gollum's blog that linked to Friday's on your blog. I am so glad I found it. In the short time I have been here I am very inspired by some of your projects, especially your board and batten. We have plans for this in our family room and kitchen and your info. is very timely and encouraging. Yes, that is a great kitchen. I haven't seen anything quite like it but I am sure with the work you did on the trim that it is something that could be reproduced. Good luck and thanks.

Casey said...

Hello- The thing you LOVE(!!!) looks like the old handyman tool box. You know the wooded with the handle on it, and it had 2 sides so you can stick a lot of tools in it. Well, thats what it looks like to me. And I KNOW you can find those at thrift stores, antique stores and maybe a hardware store. Not sure if you found it, or made one yourself. But thats my idea...
and I do LOVE IT, too!! What a great idea for kids to help set the table and its FUN!!! The simple things, right?!?! (Desperate Housewives has it on their show...)