Saturday, April 4, 2009

It's Called a Riddling Rack...

A what?

A Riddling Rack.

(Click Here to be taken straight to our Etsy Shop to see our Custom Reproduction Antique Riddling Racks)

They were used in the early 1800's to aid in the process of making Champagne.

You can learn more about where they originated by clicking here and here.

I had no idea the history behind them when I asked my husband to build one for me. All I had was this photo...


And now I have this...

It is perfectly suited for this wall in our dining room!



I can see the bottles hanging on the wall when I walk out of my bedroom...

...and I love how it looks!


I have to admit, it made me nervous at first...

...as if the bottles could snap off at the neck!





My husband built it and I gave it the aged finish.

I am extremely happy with how it turned out!

You can find original versions of these online for upwards of $650.00 plus tax and shipping! It would be awesome to be able to say that our Riddling Rack was imported from a vineyard in France! However, I don't know about you, but we certainly don't have the ability nor the desire to put nearly a grand down on something like this. And even though ours doesn't come with a history or the stamp from a French Winery, I think ours looks just as good as the one in the inspiration photo!

We fully intend on making more of these and selling them so that others can have the look for less in their own homes!
If you are interested, please contact me and I will give you the details!

You can see other versions of Riddling Racks at:

Love of Wine Store

Bird & Home

Vintage at Heart

I have to give my husband a big pat on the back for this one! It was a monotonous job and he was covered head to toe in sawdust! To get the look just right it took many, many hours of work.

But he hung in there and now has a beautiful Riddling rack to show for all his hard work!

................................................................


If you are interested in purchasing one of our Custom Reproduction Antique Riddling Racks, head over to our Etsy Shop to get all of the details...

** Click Here **


29 comments:

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

VERY cool. Love that.

Sarah said...

How wonderful! That looks great. :) I'd be all over buying one if I drank wine or champagne! I stick to the hard stuff, myself.

Well done!

Missy in Texas said...

To be quite honest. I actually like yours much better than the inspiration picture.

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

It looks just perfect on that wall! Great job, it looks awesome.
~Michelle

Sherry said...

Love love love it! Gotta love a handy hubby and levitating bottles of bubbly.

xo,
Sherry (& John)

Kimm at Reinvented said...

That is AWESOME. Looks great in your dining room.

Karla said...

Thanks, everyone! :)

Sarah, you totally made me and my husband crack up! LOL!

Missy, THANKS!! Wow! :)

Thanks so much for visiting!

~Karla

mimi charmante said...

This is fabulous! Love your wall color in that room as well~

makemineeclectic said...

I happened upon your blog and just had to tell you how gorgeous I think this is! I'm jealous. This is really lovely there!

. said...

Love it! I would like details on how to buy one. Thanks

Mrs.HVK at gmail dot com

Karla said...

Mimi Charmante and MakeMineEclectic - thanks so much! I appreciate it! :)

Mrs. HVK - we'll be sending you an email with the details! Thanks!

~Karla

Mrs. Foot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karla said...

Mrs. Foot - Absolutely!! :) Feel free to email me with any questions you may have and we will definitely answer them!

You can contact me at:
Karla(at)HomeRestyle(dot)net

Thanks!
~Karla

Kimber said...

Please email me details on how to buy one from ya'll. Thank so much!

My email is kimberratcliff@bellsouth.net

Lori E said...

Sadly I wouldn't be able to keep enough wine in it to look good. Or maybe that isn't so sad. I do like my wine.

Sushikay said...

I love your home-made wine riddler. I lucked out and found a small one on ebay for only $25.00. It's got MUMM Champagne imprinted on the top.
I love it! You can see a photo of it on my blog.
Thanks for sharing.
sushikaydesigns@blogspot.com

Cherri said...

I actually like yours better than the one in your inspiration photo. Your husband did a great job. Your dining room is beautiful.

AngieDphotography said...

Karla, I love this. I think this would go perfect in my wine themed kitchen. I'd love to know what you are going to charge!

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Even before I got to the part where you mention these can be purchased I was thinking "ding, ding, ding...here's a great idea for a product to sell!" All the best with this project!!
Janell

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Karla, I totally am in LOVE with this riddling rack! Didn't even know what such a thing was called until you introduced it to the net.

But what takes it totally over the top is how you're using it today. Go check out her master bedroom, folks. Oh my gosh...

Thanks for linking up to the party!

Funky Junk Donna

The DIY Show Off said...

I love this project too. What a beautiful riddling rack (I'm new to it too.)

I love your blog - your projects are so inspiring. :)
Roeshel

{ L } said...

He did an exceptional job! I've never seen anything like that. Perfect conversation piece.

fitmomof2 said...

Wow!! Your riddling rack is awesome! I am such a lover of antiques and I am constantly searching for functional designs for my walls! I would be interested in buying one. Are you still selling them???

Debbie said...

I have a client that is looking for two of those riddling racks. Can you make them any size and how much are they? I am an interior designer and I think you did a fabulous job. Let me know. Debbie Horn Two Dream Interiors, LLC, 832-797-5655

Karla said...

Hi Debbie!

Absolutely! You can check out all of the details in our Etsy shop:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33297630

Thanks!

~Karla

Morgan said...

It's beautiful. Your husband did an amazing job!

Mrs. Limestone said...

I know Im really late here but I just wanted to tell you how awesome (simple but gorgeous) this is. Great job.

Jennifer said...

That is beautiful! So simple and casual, yet if fits perfectly into your dining room! I love it! I love the color of your dining room walls also! :)
Jennifer
Scissors & Spatulas

David Berg said...

How awesome!!! My wife chairs the North Point Cooperative Preschool Auction, and we hear you donated. It's great to give back to the community. Hopefully you're able to make it.