Sunday, April 5, 2009

"Timberrrrr"......

We have a massive Cedar tree in our front yard....
Or, I should say, we had a massive Cedar tree in our front yard!

Last Tuesday a crew came to our neighborhood to do some tree removal!

It was really impressive!

They showed up in our front yard at 7:02 am...

...and immediately started tossing branches into their wood chipper!




Little by little the tree was starting to disappear...


Here is where it starts to fall...

TIMBER!!



This picture was taken at 7:08am!

That's only 6 minutes after they arrived!!

Here comes the machine that chips away the stump.

7:11am...


...and now at 7:15am.

And suddenly our overgrown Cedar is gone!

Vanished!


I can look out my front window and actually see parts of the neighborhood that I couldn't see before!


They also ground out a stump for us in our backyard. The previous owner's had cut the tree down, but just left the stump...

7:22am...


...and 7:26am.

They also took out a palm in the back corner of our yard. It used to have two taller sections, but they had grown so high that they were blocking our view of Mt. Rainier, so last summer I (yes, me!) sawed off the two tallest sections. We've had so much more snow than normal this year that the palms in our neighborhood are not faring well at all. It was time for this one to go.

7:56am.

Planning their attack...






8:00am.

No problem seeing Mt. Rainier now!

That is, when she shows her face!It all happened so fast!

And, they cut down three Cedars down the street at the in-laws house, another 7 trees across the street at the neighbor's house, and an overgrown Cherry tree at another neighbors house! The crew was here and gone within an hour and they took care of 4 houses!

Impressive, indeed!

While this doesn't fall in the category of "DIY makeover", it certainly is a note worthy one!

.........

The night before the crew showed up we were telling our boys what was going to be happening...our seven year old got a worried, confused and somewhat sad look on his face. I asked him what was wrong and he said
"Well, if we're cutting down a tree, are we going to plant a new one?"
It was very sweet. My little Arborist!

As we were cleaning up the debris from the tree removal we found a small Hemlock that had started to grow under the Cedar. I think we'll pot it and watch it grow - that way, when we move from this house he can take it with him. It will be his tree. That will make him happy!

.....................................................

To see more Metamorphosis Monday Makeovers head on over to Between Naps On The Porch and feel free to join in on the fun by posting your own makeover pictures!

18 comments:

Mary @Boogieboard Cottage said...

Wow, that was the fastest tree removal I've ever heard of, those guys were awesom! Happy Met Monday. :O)

Martha said...

I think it qualifies -- what a great team and I think with their equipment they must do it a lot! How great that you can see Mt. Ranier from your backyard -- sigh. We don't have any view like that on the prairie!

susan said...

It seems a little sad, but sometimes trees have just outlived their original purpose. If I need a tree removed I'll be wanting names!! Definitley, save the treee for your sweet little boy!

kathi said...

I hope you enjoy your new view, but I think I would have just trimmed the bottom of that beautiful tree instead. It takes SO long to grow a tree like that.
I would rather look at a tree than a bunch of houses...

Michelle@Fromhousetohome said...

Wow, that was fast! I'll bet that big tree was blocking a lot of light and you'll be happy for it to be gone.
~Michelle

Shelia said...

Hi and it's nice to meet you! Oh, you're almost treeless! You must live in Washington. We just took a trip there week before last to visit our daughter and son-in-law! That was my first trip to WA and it is so beautiful. I got to see Mt. Ranier a couple of times!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Karla said...

Thanks for the comments!

Just wanted to say that the Cedar in front had to go - we kept getting nasty grams from the city that they couldn't get to their utility meters. Why a Cedar was planted in that spot 15 years ago is beyond me, but the city wanted it gone, so we did it. We thought there were only two meters, but after the removal it turned out that there are 3. I can't tell you how big this tree actually was! HUGE!

Also, being a 15+ year old neighborhood and being in the NW, we have lots and lots of trees to look at! We've had lots of comments from neighbors agreeing that we have helped the look of our house and our street by getting rid of the oddly placed one's. Trust me, we're not one's to get rid of trees for no reason.

Michelle - Absolutely!! :)

Shelia - I'm glad that you got to see the mountain! The weather has been so bad that she hasn't shown her face much. You'll have to come back for a visit in August or September - it is stunning here during those months!

Thanks for visiting, everyone!

~Karla

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Wow, those guys are the model of efficiency! I'm glad you're enjoying your "new" view!

Karla said...

Kimm, I totally agree! They've got the process down to a science! :)

~Karla

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Wow, that is sadly amazing that a tree can come down that quickly.

Lou Cinda said...

Wow! This really opened up the front of your house!! AND you improved the view! Beautiful!! I have a HUGE sweetgum in my front yard I would like to do away with too!

Lou Cinda :)

Melissa Miller said...

You have a beautiful home!
That was a fast removal process for sure.
~Enjoy your new views.

Have a wonderful and blessed week ahead.
~Melissa :)

Tara said...

Amazing what a difference that made, and i bet it brings more light into your house as well!

Frugal Jen said...

Wow that was fast!

I need your decorating advice! Tuesday I am doing a post on my new living room redo.

Joyce said...

I have so many trees around my house and every few years I take some down and I love how fast those guys work. I posted my first Meta Monday and I did not do the work myself..a new roof during record breaking rainfall.. if you want a good laugh read my post.
Joyce

Sofia Striffler said...

Wow looks great now. You can see your whole house. Lovely view too!

janet said...

Those guys are really good, you have a lovely view and im sure you actually see your beautiful home that was hidden behind this tree.
hugs
janet

Amber said...

I just found your blog from Suburban Cottage. I started at the house numbers post...lol. Then I was looking at all of this familiar territory. Thinking this place reminds me of home. The I saw Mt. Ranier...bingo. I grew up in Tacoma my entire life. I live in Ohio now. So, I must say I miss my mountains :( Love your blog!