Friday, May 22, 2009

I'm A Sucker For Succulents...


It didn't take much coaxing for me to take on this next project.

After Kimba posted on Monday about putting her succulents under glass, I decided to try my hand at it.

I gathered my supplies:

Cactus Mix Potting Soil


Two small succulents


And a square glass jar that measures 6"x 6"x 6"

Potting was a snap!

But while I liked the look, I didn't love it.

It needed something more...


I had a bag of Wonder Rock just waiting to be used.

Yes, it's aquarium gravel, but the pebbles are tiny and a large bag is cheap!

I think it works perfectly for this!



Much better!

I like the contrast between the layers of dark and light and the way the varied shades of green pop against the white rock!


I think it makes for a cute, little point of interest on the coffee table...



Now, if I can just figure out how to keep the three-year-old little fingers out of it...




10 comments:

MeganSloan said...

I love succulents! I was very upset when some of mine didn't make it through the winter. But that just means I can buy new ones! I don't know where you live but you can always put them outside and the hens and chicks that you bought will winter over in most climates. I live in Missouri and our hens and chicks look GREAT after wintering over. Good luck!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cute!!! My problem would also be keeping little fingers out of it! :)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karla, I just love that! I have several little creamware pots I'd like to do this with. And I already have some hens & chicks growing in a big pot outside. Great little pop of green on the coffee table.

Gina said...

Good luck with that! My succulents have been introduced to the gentleness of a two year old and her little almost two friend-yikes, it was a rocky introduction.

Thankfully, once the formalities were out of the way they've gotten along much better. I think those succulents may just stand a chance!

~Allie~ said...

If you learn how to keep the fingers out LET ME KNOW! Some of the most grueling days of life included a 3 year old, a 2 year old, carpet, cleaner, and freshly watered house plants. aweful! haha

DESIGN BY CATHLEEN said...

Love your succulent post! They are my favorite too! Yet I still seem to over water them!

Cathleen :)

Jessica said...

love it!

ilovemy5kids said...

Those look awesome! Great ideas...

Blessings to you!

Kimba said...

It looks great! The rocks definitely made a huge difference.

Kimba

Karla said...

Megan - thanks for the info! :)

Rhoda - I'm sure they're gorgeous in little creamware pots! I'll have to try that too!

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, everyone! I really appreciate it! XO

~Karla