Saturday, June 27, 2009


The past week in the Puget Sound has shown us some super low tides at our local beaches!

On Wednesday night my best friend let me know that we really needed to be sure to take the kids and check it out because of the opportunity to see some really cool things that we normally don't get to see -
because the tide never goes out this far.

So on Thursday afternoon we took the kids to our closest beach, just a few minutes from home, and checked it out.

Will and I have grown up here and neither one of us have ever seen Dash Point Beach look like it did on Thursday!

The tide went out to

-3.92 feet

It was definitely impressive!

One of my favorite things to do is go beachcombing for seashells. And we lucked out on Thursday! We found lots of them!

Granted, they were covered in sand, seaweed, and who knows what else - but we brought them home with the hopes that they would clean up nicely!

I put them all in a large bowl and covered them completely with hot, soapy water and let them sit for a few hours. But, the soapy water didn't do much to get rid of the leftover beach...

So I looked online and several sites said that it was as easy as soaking them in

equal parts water and bleach.

I tried it, and sure enough, all of the dark brown and black stains started coming off!

I rinsed them with water and soaked them a second time in the bleach and water mixture and,


I think they look great!

The shells were in the solution no more than a couple of hours and we can't believe how pretty they turned out!

So if your beachcombing leaves you with shells that are a little on the dingy side, try what I did!

It works!


Funky Junk Interiors said...

You are so blessed to live beside the ocean like that! How I wish!!!

The shells are so lovely! Thanks for the cleaning tip! I'll remember that one. Can't wait to see how you put them to work. :)

Did you take any pics of what low tide looked like?


Your cool friend Cheryl said...

Oh you lucky, lucky girl. How I'd love to have a real beach to go to... Lake Michigan just isn't the same!

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo said...

Living so close to the water must be wonderful! Such beautiful shells, and the tip for cleaning them is great! Thanks for sharing.
Have a wonderful weekend!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Ooh, thanks for the tips on the shells. I always wondered how people got their shells to look gorgeous without the smell that accompanies them...

Jennifer said...

How fun... I wish I lived close to a beach!! The shells are beautiful!

Aura said...

I have never washed my shells off before! Oops, maybe I should start.

Tara said...

That sounds like so much fun, I will one day do that!! Our beaches go down low but not that low and the shells are still too far to capture! Thanks for the tip on cleaning them, and one day I will need it! :)

Kathi said...

Yes, that's a tried and true way to clean shells! Yours look so pretty! I'm wishing I could spend a day beachcoming! I miss Florida so much right now! Love low tide!
Also like to go after a storm to see what beauties came in with the tides! Sigh... I really miss Florida!

Charis said...

How beautiful! Thanks for the shell-cleaning tips!

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

I love shells! And I just saw that on the news about your low tide up there on the coast! Fun!!

Greta said...

One of my favorite memories of visiting the ocean is getting up early while the tide was out. We would look for seashells in the dark! You hit the mother load! We're off to the beach in a couple of weeks, maybe we'll find some good shells.

The DIY Show Off said...

What fun! Thanks for the tip! I'm suffering from beach withdrawal!