Sunday, June 14, 2009

Vintage Folding Measuring Sticks and An Old Military Trunk...


Around noon yesterday, the whole family set out on a trip to Costco. As much as we dislike going to Costco on a weekend, we had to. It was time. So we loaded up the kids, promising churros and berry drinks if they were good, and we were on our way.

Immediately we started seeing "Garage Sale" signs, and even though I wanted to stop and look, I wasn't about to say anything because we were on a mission.
Get to Costco, shop, and get out - before it gets even more crowded!

When we realized that we had passed about 25 "Garage Sale" signs before we had even made it half way to Costco (which isn't all that far from our house), Will said:
"should we stop?"

Heck, yes!


So we did, and here is what I found...

At one house we found treasures galore and had we needed it all, I would have tried to bring it home with me, for sure!

But these two things were the first to catch my eye and I wasn't willing to give these up in order to buy something else.


Vintage Wood Folding Measuring Sticks...


They had about 5 of them that they were selling. None of them in perfect condition - all of them were broken off at some point, but this one was the longest at 65 inches...

I have an idea for how I want to use it. I just need to figure out how to make it work!

My other find was this trunk...

It is an old Military Communications Trunk. It had labels all over it at one point, and still has writing on it and stamps telling what it's purpose was...

The hardware still works great...


...and I love how aged it is!

Here's the coolest part!

On the back there is an envelope holding an invoice...


...the date on it: October 24th, 1945

There are spots that are extremely beat up, but it just adds to the character!

At 30" long, by 12" tall, by 11" deep, it isn't huge, but is just the right size for storing all of my candles that I'm not currently using.


It fits perfectly in its new spot (and looks great with the rest of the room), but before I show you where that is, a small makeover needs to happen first. It is a project that I have wanted to do for a while and have talked about before. Now I have the perfect motivation to get it done!

Oh - and I almost forgot...I got these two things for a grand total of $10!

I was pleased with that!


So what was supposed to be a quick, get-it-done shopping trip to Costco, ended up being an unexpectedly productive garage sale day!

Gotta' love it when that happens!



Did you stumble upon any treasures this weekend?

I hope so!

......................................................

If you're curious to see what other Thrifty Treasures people were able to get their hands on this weekend, head over to Southern Hospitality and click on the links!




31 comments:

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Fantastic! I'd die to have that measuring tape. Did you see what Layla at The Lettered Cottage did with hers? It's imbedded in her kitchen trim above her stove, so cool!

I went to a friend's home to offer decorating advice and ended up hauling all these plants home, plus a book to read on, get this, saving money. LOL Dave Ramsey special. Oy... hope I still have the nerve to spend on my funky junk after that read!

Donna

Charles & Amanda said...

I love seeing all of the great stuff you find on the side of the road and at garage sales. I am always so inspired, so...check out my blog www.chaoslaughterandlove.blogspot.com to see what we found this weekend!

Amanda

Miss(es) Canadian Pie said...

I bought a folding measuring tape just last weekend at a yard sale. I have mine propped up on a bookcase. They are so lovely, aren't they? What a great treat that trunk is! Love that it came with the invoice!!

Kelly of Royal Pink Vintage said...

Love the trunk!
I've begun a little collection of wooden folding rulers, just because I like the look of them. When folded up they're cool as a picture holder, just stick it in one of the grooves.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great finds!! That trunk is really neat. :) I know I've seen one of those folding measuring sticks at my grandmother's house!!

Joan@anythinggoeshere said...

Folding rulers ......and dress forms are currently two of my favorite things. Thank goodness you finally got to stop!!!

Gena said...

I love the folding wood ruler. When I was little I played with the ones my daddy had. He had a few in our basement where his shop was and I loved them!

I also love the trunk, but especially love the dated invoice. I love things like that - work items that tell a story of the time.

M @ Therapy By Decorating said...

Exactly 60 years prior to my oldest son's birthdate... how cool! Love your finds, wish I had that same luck!

~Meg

ellen b said...

What great finds! Love that trunk. Sounds like my kind of day...

Bama Girl in AZ said...

Awesome finds! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

marmielu said...

That chest is a great find! And the invoice was a fun plus! I love finding those little extras in stuff.
Mary Lou

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great finds...so glad to find your blog..

Had some time to do some blog hopping...always enjoy finding new blogs!Hope you will visit me. This month I am posting on our Disney trip.

Cherry's Jubilee said...

I collect those old measuring sticks...they are fun to pose in position....stars....monograms...crowns......lots of fun.

Stephanie said...

karla, I love the trunk! Will you paint it or leave it as-is? Check out my "thrifty treasure" post from last week - I found an old trunk too! It belonged to a doctor and was quite large in size.

I just spent yesterday priming it and still haven't decided if I will paint it black or brown, but it will look great in my sunroom. Thanks for sharing!

~~Carol~~ said...

I've always wanted one of those measuring sticks, because I've seen people make a star out of them. I love that trunk too, so much history and it's cool that you have that invoice too. What a great idea to keep candles in it!

Melissa Marie said...

Oh I love that trunk! How cool is that that it still has an invoice? Love it... great find!!

Jadehollow said...

Karla..Oh my Gosh!! Priceless!

Sara @ Be Still and Know said...

karla! i just found a bag of those measuring sticks for $2.00 and will be posting soon on them....i'm so happy for you! that chest is awesome too...

Carmen said...

Love that chest! I found a similar one in my garage but it was completely falling apart and moldy. I was so sad. I love how yours still had an invoice in it.

The Tattered Cottage said...

I have never found a complete folding measuring stick...they are aways broken. Yours is in the best shape of any I have found. Love the trunk :) Can't wait to see your makeover room :)
Toni

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Fabulous Finds. That trunk is really special!

Thanks for sharing!

Tina

Roeshel said...

Ohhhh! So envious! Great finds! Love the vintage measuring tape and old trunk! Lucky you! ;)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karla, great finds! Those are both unusual and so fun. I am pretty sure my dad still has his folding measuring sticks like that. I remember seeing them growing up.

Aren't you glad you stopped? the allure of yardsale signs most always get me in.

At Home with the Hill's said...

Very cool finds! I love your blog!

bj said...

Can't wait to see what you do with the old measuring thing. I have one, too, and never have done anything with it. Now, you will come up with something really cute and I can copy YOU. haha..
Great finds..

Tara said...

you did so good! I love the measuring stick, and probably would have bought them all, you can make them into cool designs too~~ The trunk is perfect! GREAT FINDS!

melissa said...

Karla~wow, that trunk is such a great find. I love finding little hidden treasures like that packing list on it~so cool!

Christina said...

Love seeing your finds. The trunk is wonderful. Love the little packing folder on the side.

I have seen where some people have taken those measuring sticks and shaped them into stars and hang them. Can't remember where I saw it, but it was interesting.

Mrs. Limestone said...

What amazing finds for $10! So jealous!

Teacher said...

I love those measuring sticks. I saw some shaped into stars and instantly fell for them. Can't wait to what you have in store for them.

Candace

Lorie said...

I am in love!