Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Getting The Heck Out Of Dodge...

We're trading one heat wave for another,

but at least in Arizona we will have air conditioning and a pool!

We've been packing and cleaning and cleaning and packing...

but I couldn't leave without saying "Thank You" to all of you that responded to my post about seeing our old home in AZ.

You helped me sort through my feelings in a way that I haven't been able to on my own.

I loved that some of you felt the same way that I did!
A little bit nosey and curious!
(There's nothing wrong with that!)

And I loved the honesty that came from those who had been in my shoes before, and warned me not to do it!

It was those of you that had been given the chance to walk through your old homes, and taken that chance, that weighed the heaviest on my decision.

I was overwhelmed by the underlying feeling of...

once it's done, it's done.

Once I've walked through my home that is no longer mine, I can't take it back and un-see the changes.

And I can definitively say that I am not ready for that.

My emotions for this house are not about its four walls, but about the life that we lived for that two and a half years. The friends that I made, that so quickly became a part of my life and took on the role of "family"...not just friend.

I miss that life.

You helped me see that too.

I will not be touring our old home, or knocking on the front door...and I'm not sure that I even want to do a drive-by.

I want to see my friends...my family.

So we're out of here!

We'll be back in one week!

And again, thank you, from the bottom of my heart!

You're the best!

Don't think I don't know that!!



Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous pic! I miss AZ so much! I'm glad that you decided not to visit your old house. Enjoy your visit and stay cool!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Have a wonderful and safe visit.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Can't wait to hear about all your travels! Have a blast and see you upon your return!


M said...

We had a knock on our door yesterday...the little girl (now about 40ish) that grew up in our house. She loved the changes we've made, and there are many. She said she would wait until she got in the car to cry. I don't know if she was glad for the visit or not.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Have a wonderful trip!

I loved your blog asking the question of whether to visit or not, and the responses! Very interesting...I myself have no desire to visit an old home, just hope the people who are there now are enjoying it as much as I did!


Mrs. Dunbar said...

Have a wonderful trip.

I just read your last post and it made me grateful for my own home. Although I don't love it, I didn't get choose everything inside of it (as it was built 30 years before I was born), and I get angry because we are "still here", your post reminded me that this is home and our family has many many memories here. From our first night as a married couple to bringing home puppies to bringing home babies, to first steps and pitter patter of tiny feet on wood floors. Your words made me really appreciate what I do have and that our family is living out our lives here, right now.

I often wonder if an old owner would like to walk through our home.

Thanks again for your post, it really had an impact. And have a great time on your trip.

cash for clunkers said...

I love that gorgeous pic too. Have a good trip.