Wednesday, August 19, 2009

All Framed Up...

The conversion taking place in our dining room is going well!

We had several things that had to happen yesterday, none of which had anything to do with construction, but once we got the kids into bed we were able to focus on the job and finally finished the framing at 11pm.

Admittedly, we have had a couple of is-this-going-to-be-more-of-a-pain-than-it's-worth moments, but we can already see that this is the best choice for our family and how we live.

In fact, we're kicking ourselves for not doing this sooner!


The kids love walking through the walls!


We made sure to get a picture of each of them standing between the 2x4's. Today we will take a picture of all five of us standing in the room before we start putting up the sheet rock and then print out a few of the photos.

We decided last night (and I am super excited about this because I think the kids will love doing it) that we are going to put together a time capsule! We'll set the box between two of the studs and cover it up with the sheet rock. We haven't decided everything that we're going to put in it yet, but I'm sure it will be fun seeing what the kids choose to include!


Here's hoping that by the end of today we have made great progress on the walls!




10 comments:

Sarah said...

How fun! I love the time capsule idea. :)

Lori E said...

It is a great idea. Just make sure the kids know it is staying there. You wouldn't want to come downstairs one day to see that one of them was trying to get back their marbles.

Karla said...

Lori - it's funny that you mentioned that...the more I thought about what they were going to put in, the more I saw transformers, bionicles, etc. I can just see our 5 year old trying to get to the box after the walls are built! Good call and thanks for the tip!

~Karla

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Oh, this is so exciting I can't stand it! Really! And did you REALLY hammer away AFTER the kids went to bed, and they stayed in bed, asleep? Amazing...I will watch this transformation with great interest.
Janell

Daryl said...

I am so excited to see what you're doing with this room! We have two rooms that open onto the foyer and the one is just plain inconvenient; but, when I've suggested closing the doorway and just keeping the larger opening, it was shot down pretty quickly. I think it would make the room more private and cozy. I'll share your room with the Hubby. Post often, please!

Susan @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

The time capsule idea is great. How fun for the kids. With the framing I can see your vision. Thanks for taking us along on this journey.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Fun! I LOVE the time capsule idea...wish we'd thought of that last summer. I can't wait to see how this turns out. :)

Magic Brush said...

The time capsule idea ROCKS!

Jill said...

How exciting and what a great idea!

Michie said...

I am really enjoying the pictures of what must be your front door with the starfish? It is beautiful! How did you hang them up there?

The time capsule idea sounds like a lot of fun!