Friday, September 4, 2009

The Fruits Of Our Labor - Playroom Edition...


Ok...you asked for them, so here are the photos!

All of the construction is finished and Will and I stand back and look every day, filled with pride, that we (with our own hands) made all of this happen!

Remember when it was a Dining Room?

And what it looked like before?

(click here to see the progression from open Dining Room to enclosed Playroom)




One small disclaimer:

This room was decorated on the fly! I shopped our home and, in an effort to make it feel more finished, came up with a look. This room is the definition of "use what you have" decorating. Once the kids have used it and lived in it for a while (and we can see what their needs are in the room and how they are really going to use it), I will start to give the room the look that I envision for it.

These photos are of the room as it is right now.

Welcome to the new Playroom!














My plan for the arch is to fill the shelf with small globes - vintage globes, toy globes, metal globes...whatever globes I can find at local thrift and antique stores, I will put on the shelf.
My mother-in-law found two different globes during their vacation in England. They'll be home on Sunday and I can't wait to get them up on the shelf!
(The globes, not my in-laws!)



By sheer luck, the bean bags chairs that we bought for the kids a couple of years ago, in their favorite colors...

perfectly coordinate with the globe that the boys have had as part of their bedroom decor for years...

I am thrilled with this happy accident since this space is for the boys and their little sister! A nice tie in to the girly pinks and the little boy blues.



The things that will remain in this room unchanged are:


all of the letters and words




the pops of red
(I love how it looks against the blue on the walls)




the globes




the kids' artwork







and the old schoolhouse desk





The things in this room that will remain, but will be changed:


These bins (which used to be in the boys' bedroom closet) offer a ton of storage and are totally kid-friendly. But while they are extremely functional, they are also extremely unattractive...

My plan is for Will to build an enclosure for them that will encase the sides and the top, while still allowing full access to the drawers. I will be able to paint the enclosure in hopes that it won't be such an eye sore as the huge, plastic bins!



This toy chest came with the house and I love it...

but I have been meaning to paint it for a while. Now that it has a permanent home in the playroom, it will be getting a fresh coat of paint to coordinate with the room.


This dresser/changing table had been in the boys' bedroom, but we decided to move it into the playroom for more toy storage. The dresser and the red bins will be painted as well...



And I am torn on the armoire. I love the color! But it's so similar to the wall color that I'm not as happy with it as I once was. I'm not quite ready to take the plunge on changing the color (mostly because I have a ton of other painting to do), but if and when I do change it, I know which direction I want to go with it, and I think you might be surprised...



So there you have it!

LOTS more painting in my future.

But that's only after I finish painting the built-in that is now in our entryway. I cannot wait to show you! I found the inspiration online and Will recreated it for our space perfectly!
It's the kind of addition that makes a house unique.
Just what I like!

Time to get back to painting!

Only a couple more hours before I have to pick the boys up from school...





P.S. Don't forget to enter the giveaway for the $50 gift certificate to Lowe's! Just leave a comment at the end of my interview on Houzz.com - click here!

53 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

love it...and a little jealous...we have moved things around in our family room, so at least D has a "play area" instead of his toys being all over...they are isolated to one area blocked between the couch and wall...so that is nice I guess?! I started a new blog to put up all my projects on it...home, jewelry, etc...once it is really going I will let you know...

Photographing Mom said...

You are SO good!!!!!! Beautifully done, Karla.

Domestic Goddess..Diva sometimes said...

Very nice! I love the color you chose for the playroom. What color is it? It looks very nice with the paneling.

You guys did a great job!

Kelleigh said...

I just love this! You are really pulling the room together so nicely and I love that you are decorating with the globes. Oh, and I loved (LOVED!) your interview! You are so right. It is addicting!

Suzy said...

I LOVE IT!! The blue paint is so pretty, and I love the blue cabinet too!

june@craftyniche said...

WOW! The playroom looks fantastic!!

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Amazing how quickly you made this come together!
If this was decorated "on the fly" one certainly can't tell. My favorite is the bike lane sign... and though it is a play room it still looks beautiful and fits the decor of the rest of the house. (what I've seen of it anyway!)
Janell

Mrs. Foot said...

Can I come over and play?!?! It looks like so much fun. I love all the words and abc letters. (Speaking of, do you remember where you got the silver letters?)

Great job, as usual!!

Elizabeth said...

Looks great! I love to see the kids art work framed :)

Chris said...

Love Love Love it!! You guys did such a fabulous job, and I know your kids will use it for years! Thanks for sharing and inspiring once again!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Awesome! I wish we had a room like that on the main floor. But a secondary bedroom will have to do.

Wow, that was FAST.

Donna

Missy Luukkonen said...

LOVE it!!! I really like the way you display their art work, I may need to do something like that in my house! I hope you have better luck than I did with the play room, we finally took ours away because the kids would never pick up their toys! Now its just a really boring office, maybe I need to spice it up! Thanks for sharing! missy

L.Duncan said...

This IS really really nice! I love the red against the blue too! What color is it and who is it by?

JessicaF said...

Dying to know that paint color. Love it!!

Maya@Completely Coastal said...

Karla, I added you to A Beach Lovers Place too. Thank you so much.

This room is coming along great. I love the old school desk..., sat on something very similar!

Maya@ompletely-coastal said...

Sat AT something very similar..., well maybe on it too actually -sometimes!

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Lori E said...

Awesome reno. Your hard work has really paid off.

Norma said...

I have the exact same desk!!!

Jenn said...

Karla, you're freaking amazing. Are you ever coming to Zumba again?

Just like Martha said...

The room looks fantastic - congrats all your hard work and efforts have paid off - what a great place for your kids to simply 'be'...well done xxx

Joanna said...

Oh you did such a wonderful job! I love it, I bet the kids LOVE it! I would KILL for a space like this.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, wow!!! Karla, I LOVE that you shopped your home. That is so inspiring for this mommy...I can't just go out and buy stuff anymore...have to be conscious about where the money is going.

I really like the clothesline artwork, the schoolhouse desk, and everything you have up on the walls. I think the armoire is lovely too. :)

Just before I read what you are planning to do with the plastic bins, I had the same thought. Great minds think alike, right? :)

Fabulous!!!

paula said...

It looks amazing! Love, love the way you hung the art work.

Sarah said...

I love it Karla, what an awesome space. Great job!!

Let it Shine said...

It looks gorgeous! You should be so proud of yourself! What a fun place to play and learn!

Junk Sophisticate said...

Wow, wow, wowie, wow! We converted our den into a kids' playroom but have yet to take on the challenge of completing any sort of look for it. Your post is very inspirational to me! Funny thing, just today I purchased my favorite children's globe thus far at an antique store. The base has numbers all around it. So cool.
Thanks for the push to get something done!
Candy

Kelli said...

This is great. I loved that you used things around your house. I'm sure you'll get great use out of this space. Question, I wondered how you hung all of the painted wooden letters. I want to do letters in my kids' bathroom but I'm unsure how to hang them.

Debbie said...

I love the kids playroom! I am sure they really love it too!

I am in escrow for my 1st home and have so many plans for my grandbaby's room! I bought the wood letters at Michaels Crafts, and painted them in bright colors. I have also started painting all of the furniture in very bright colors. Disney colors by Behr are the greatest! People will have to go into her room wearing sunglasses, lol

Sarah said...

It's just gorgeous! I love all the colours and textures. I love the armoire colour and the pops of red.

What a wonderful place to play.

Attic Gal Alysa said...

This is so inspiring. I've loved watching you transform this room. I've been trying to think how to transform our dining room but unfortunately one of the walls is the descending staircase (actually there are no walls around it but there could be without the staircase. What to do?? Loved your decorating also. I saw the globe decorating (with a blue armoire) in a magazine and did that in my boys' room. I found the globes at garage sales and actually one lady got rid of her collection for $45. I was so excited. I have cool things but unfortunately not the "know how" to put it together. You're blessed.

mom2oem said...

Did you already tell us what the paint color is in the new play room? I really like it and might be interested in using it too!

Jessica said...

love it so much! we are working on our playroom now!!!

love that red jack!!

duchess said...

Beautiful job - I love the opening above the doorway.

Joanne said...

This is just so perfect! It's very stylish, but at the same time so much fun for kids. This is the greatest example that playroom does not have to be excessively colorful. When friends are visiting, you don't have to close the door and say "It's a really messy playroom", you just leave the door wide open and proudly present it.
By the way - I love love love the window!

Colleen said...

Your play room is fantastic!!! The addition of globes and the other changes you are planning will take the room over the top. Your children are very lucky to have this special room. You and the Mr. did a great job!

SportsMadGirl said...

I LOVE IT! You did a wonderful job. I really love the paint color and framed kids artwork.

Blondie said...

Beautiful colors!!

You guys did an AHHH-MAZING JOB!!!

Britt said...

What an adorable space! I love the architectural details - just gorgeous! Your little ones are so lucky!

bethany said...

looks amazing, karla! i think i recognize that dresser/changing table - ha! makes me a tad bit "homesick"... :)

Jen Kershner said...

I love your playroom and am so happy to discover your blog. I can't wait to go back through the archives!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karla, I loved your interview at Houzz! Congrats on that. I haven't been by in awhile, but WOW at all the great projects you have done. Love, love the board & batten treatment & everything else. That familyroom is just a gorgeous space. Just wanted to tell you how much I love everything I'm seeing on here!

Tracey said...

What an amazing makeover!!!

Struggler said...

Love it; even though I don't have kids, this is still a great room.
If you're not sure about the armoire, have you perhaps considered just changing the hardware on it to some (maybe) brightly colored knobs/handles? That might help it contrast a bit with the walls.

Have fun getting the in-laws (oops!) - globes on the shelf!

thevfiles said...

This is wonderful! Great work. I need one for my house :)

A.Love said...

what a dream come true!! how amazing! one day I hope my son can have an amazing play room!

One Crazy Mama said...

What an awesome space! The color on the walls is beautiful! What color is it? The pops of red look great with it!

Halle@HouseCapated said...

I think it looks beautiful. Wonderful Job!

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Karla, that is awesome! Love the colors. Congrats on your houzz interview too! :)

zebralive said...

I would also love to know what color the walls are!

Mimi and Tilly said...

I really enjoyed this post, with all the photos. I love what you have done so far with the playroom and look forward to seeing the finished result. Beautiful blog. Sending smiles.

S. said...

I adore the look of that room! You designed it very well and it's filled with great ideas! And I don't know why, but the Interior doors are so cool! =) I think it's because in my grandma's old house, she had those double doors like that. It brings back memories as a kid! Which I think is why I adore that room even more! Great job with it!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get that line to hang up the kids artwork? It looks great!

Emily said...

Very well done, I love the room. Do you know where the small silver abc letters are from? i have been looking for letters just like that forever!