Monday, October 12, 2009

Candy Corn Makes It Too Easy...


Before I get started on how ridiculously easy candy corn makes it to decorate for Halloween, I want to be sure to let you know that I have a question for you at the end of this post. I need help finding a recipe and I figured, who better to ask then all of you? But I'll get back to that...


Halloween is the first holiday that I get to decorate for in our new entry lockers and cubbies! When we renovated the dining room, turned it into a playroom, and built ourselves a new organized entryway on the opposite side of the newly built wall, I made sure to design a system that would not only accommodate all of the kids' needs, but my need for pretty as well!

So at the top of the coat lockers, sit three square cubes that I can decorate and change with each season and holiday.

When it came time to decorate for Halloween, I had to consider exactly how I wanted this new space to look and what I wanted it to convey.

It's a kids space, really. So fancying it up with heavy garlands, berries, gourds, candles, urns...you know, all the traditional fall stuff, just didn't feel like it was a good fit for the space.

I wanted to keep the look simple, but fun and most importantly cost effective (translation: as close to FREE as possible!)

And this is what I came up with:




All it took was a big bag of candy corn, some gathering of twigs in the back yard and a little spray paint.

Too easy, I tell you!



I had Ellison help me find as many twigs as we could...


Then I simply spread them out on cardboard...


and sprayed it all with a good coat of black...

I didn't even bother flipping them over and spraying the back side. No need for it since their backs would all be facing the wall.

I filled the glass vases with candy corn and stuck the twigs in...


I wish I could have found twigs that were a little more gnarly, but this was a "use what you've got" project, so the twigs I found in our own backyard worked great!


The kids love it that there is candy corn on the shelves!

And I think the overall look is a good mix of them and me...


It was an easy way to bring orange and black into the entryway!

THE only colors needed for Halloween, as far as the kids are concerned!

And if you're looking for a project you can do in a flash, this is one of them. Waiting for the paint to dry is the only time factor to consider.

The candy corn made it's mark as decor in a few more spots of our home as well.

I gotta' say...I like how it looks!

..................................................................


Now...onto the recipe question!



We're hosting our 3rd Annual Chowder Cook-Off soon and I need to find a recipe.

I've been making the same Chicken and Corn Chowder for our family for the past ten years and last year, it won the Cook-Off!

So this year, I'm ready to try something new...

that's where you come in!

I have to say, I'm not a fan of clam chowder, but I do love a good corn chowder and, if you've got one, I'm totally up for a new take on chowder all together.

So if you have any good recipes, I would love to hear them!

Here's the catch...my competition (yes, they're my friends and family, but in this case - they're the competition!) reads my blog, so if you don't mind, I would prefer it if you didn't post the recipe in the form of a comment. Please email me your recipe at:

ItsTheLittleThings(at)HomeRestyle(dot)net

Thanks a million!

I can't wait to see what great chowder recipes you send my way!

And if I use yours, I will certainly give credit where credit is due!





P.S I am linking this post over on DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
and Today's Creative Blog for Get Your Craft On Tuesday
and Works For Me Wednesday at We Are That Family
and Frugal Friday at The Shabby Nest
and The Fall Festival at The DIY Show Off

Loads of inspiration to be found!

Be sure to check them out!

52 comments:

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I love have a good recipe... but I will be keeping my eyes open.
I love me some yummy chowder!

Laura said...

the beautiful Tara sent me here...
and nobody loves candy corn like I do
so much, in fact, that any decorating with it would be EATEN by ME before the 31st.

wish I had a recipe for you...but I dont...sorry

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

It looks terrific! I don't think candy corn would be safe to use as decorating in my house though...I would eat it! LOL

Lindy said...

I don't have a recipe for you, but would you please, please, please share your recipe with us? I love soups, bisques, chowders... you name it!

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic said...

I love what you did with the branches and candy corn! I've been searching for cost effective ways to decorate for Halloween, so I might have to replicate this. The only problem - it's snowing here in Minnesota so I don't know how I'll find any branches.... Maybe I should skip Halloween and focus on Christmas. :) Only kidding.

Good luck with the chowder recipe - I have never made it before, so I am of no help.

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

Fun ideas with the candy corn!! :)

Your cool friend Cheryl said...

Candy is the easiest and most fun way to decorate for holidays...candy corn, candy canes, conversation hearts, jelly beans...I love it all!

Williams Sonoma has a good recipe for corn chowder in one of their slow cooker cook books...I will try to find it for you. Good luck! :)

MMM said...

LOVE the branches and corn candy! ;) I will definitely be using this idea in my home.

{ L } said...

Love it! Candycorn is so fun. You're very creative.

Simply Susan said...

I absolutely love the candy corn decor! It's simple and to the point...FUN!

Charity Donovan said...

VERY CUTE candy corn idea...I may be stealing that for my cubbies!!!!!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Cute cute cute!! I love the simplicity...not over the top, but it definitely says "Halloween." :)

Nina Diane said...

great idea....

Gena said...

I love the way your decorations look! I also love candy corn - I used to put it in the bottom of little jar candle holder thingies I made. Every time my neighbor came over, she would take my decorations apart and eat the candy corn! It cracked me up every time.

I'll look for a recipe for you. I don't eat clam chowder really, but I LOVE corn chowder.

Lynda @ SportsMadGirl said...

I love the candy corn decor. It's simple but to the point. My main problem would be that I LOVE candy corn so I don't know how long it would last :)

I have a recipe I'll send you. It's not "mine" but I use it and love it.

Kimm at Reinvented said...

Karla, the candy corn is fabulous. What a creative idea! I have a winner of a recipe to send you, so check your e-mail in a little while! ;)

Just like Martha said...

You are amazing - this looks fantastic - just goes to show what you can do without spending a fortune - you go girl! I wish 'we Aussies' celebrated Halloween a little more I love an excuse to decorate - bring on Christmas I say with moving the past few years we have not had a Chrissy tree and I cannot wait - Dec 01 and all the decs will be on display..thanks for your continued inspiration.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Karla, will you email me (I can't read your email address here), I have a question for ya?

Thanks!

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

love the candy corn/ branch thingy!

becky said...

Oh that candy corn looks so gorgeous.Its so pretty.I love the smell but you know I never liked it because it hurt all my teeth LOL.But I would surely try something like that.
Oh yum I love chowder.I can even smell it now,LOL.Have a great evening!

Lori said...

The cubbies are so cute and I love the idea with the candy corn. I also love that little pumpkin container in the center too! It's the simple things that look the best and makes you say "hey ~ that it too easy!"

Melanie said...

That is a great idea. It turned out so cute and it just makes you happy to look at it. I know that your kids love it.

Tina said...

The candy corn dish is ADORABLE!! I absolutely love that idea!! I have a vase than looks JUST like the one you used too - hmm, might have to borrow that idea! Great job!!

http://tinasz.blogspot.com/

Debbie @ ribbonwoodcottage.blogspot.com said...

Hi, love this idea. I adore candy corn! It is my favorite vegetable!
Love the cubbies too. I wish we could have had these when my kids were growing up. They are a wonderful invention...probably designed by a smart woman! Big smile.
Blessings,
Debbie

Annie Rose said...

I love the look of the candy. I have only started to really learn how to decorate all around my house. Your photos are inspiration!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Very cute idea! I'd be tempted to climb up there and eat that yummy candy corn!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I don't have any recipes - LOVE your candy corn decorating.

Candace said...

Love the candy corn. There's comething about it in the rectangular vases that packs a punch too.

Recipe: (Brace yourself)
Quick Chicken-Corn Chowder from CookingLight.com BUT hubby and I substituted the following > 1 cup FF half/half plus 2 cups milk, dash of crab boil liquid seasoning for the cayenne, and crab for the chicken - YUMMY!

We have had it the original way too, but we just love seafood so we liked this version better.

Mercy, I can't wait to see what you do for Christmas decor in that spot!

Willow Decor said...

I adore what you did with the Candy corn! So very cute!!
xx-Gina

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I'm in love with candy corn. My favorite kind of decor is the kind I can eat. I had a couple of posts on candy corn. Check them out at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Randi said...

Love the branches in the candy corn ... that looks so great!

Juli said...

Here is the link for a really good Cheddar Corn Chowder from the Barefoot Contessa. I don't use 10 cups of corn (way too much) I only use a large bag of frozen corn. You can also add diced ham to it as well.


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cheddar-corn-chowder-recipe/index.html

Katy said...

I love candy corn in all of it's wonderfulness, it tastes GREAT and is also fun to decorate with. Unfortunately if I decorated with it, my decor would be EATEN...I just simply cannot help myself.

It looks darling!

Now, that you're finished w/ your cute decor, come over and give me some advice......i need all the help i can get.

Kim said...

Love these decorations - and so EASY!!

Meghan said...

We must be on the same wavelength. I recently posted about decorating with candy corn too (though I used a pumpkin-shaped cookie jar) and have a vase very similar to yours that I used for acorns. Great minds thinking alike?

I love your idea for using the twigs to give height.

http://unintendedhousewife.blogspot.com/2009/10/feeling-fall.html

Autumn said...

I like the simple decor! I'm a big fan of twigs and branches and I like the addition of candy corn! Although...I would just want to eat it. All the time. It would be bad. I better stick to non-edible fillers...

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

I hate candy corn but it is very cute in your jars.

I really like the twigs decor. Simple.

Love love LOVE this!

:)

Stop by and see me over at Free 2 Be Frugal!

Jenn said...

Ooo...I will email you my corn chowder recipe. YUMMY!

Jenn said...

PS! Love the decor! Super cute!

groovie mom said...

Love the candy orn decor. I tried something similar with sweethearts around Valentine's Day, but all of the candy "mysteriously" disappeared overnight.

Suzanne said...

Loved your candy corn idea -- thanks for sharing it with us. After reading your post, I wanted to try. Check here for my version:

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2009/10/candy-corn-done-right.html

Susan said...

I'd also love a copy of your chicken and corn chowder! My hubby will only eat thicker soups and such, so it sounds divine! Would you please email it to me at susan dot fairchild at gmail dot com? Thanks so much!

brudcrew said...

Wish I could hire your hubby to come and build us that exact custom stoage! It is exactly what I have been looking for in our new house! I am so impressed! Any chance of getting a tutorial for dummies? I love the decorative cubies and the candy corn.

Charlotte said...

i love the way you used the candy corn and then painted the twigs...haven't seen anyone else do this...looks great!

Wendy @ The Shabby Nest said...

The candy corn looks great!

debra said...

Love the candy corn decorations!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I'm been wanting to use candy corn - just need to keep it up high enough so the kiddos can't get into it.

Kim said...

@ Cheap Chic Home. Cute idea, anything that can be recycled by eating is a good decorating choice in my house!

Tricia Anne said...

Oh cute cute cute! :o)

The DIY Show Off said...

So clever and so cute. I love it!

No advice on the chowder (also not a fan and hubby is the cook). lol

Thanks for adding your creative project to the Fall Festival!

Roeshel

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

I love the candy corn decor. Now you just have to hope that your kids don't try climbing up to get some. And i don't have any chowder recipes as I don't like chowder.

natalie said...

We did the Candy Corn idea at our house!

In a pretty glass vase on the mantel and in Ball Jars on the breakfast table!

Thanks for sharing... just what we needed for Halloween!

You can see our Candy Corn Decor come to life here: http://abungalowproject.blogspot.com/2010/10/fall-mantel-and-birthday.html