Thursday, October 8, 2009

Hooked On Globe Lights...


Well....sort of...

I mean, clearly they are gorgeous!


And festive.

And romantic.

And just...so darn pretty!


For me, there's just something about globe lights strung up, illuminating the night.


So I decided that I needed some...


Except, (you know me) I wasn't about to buy them.

Nope.

Not a chance.

Those suckers are pricey!


So, naturally, I came up with a solution...

because I was bound and determined to get the glow!

So...

I went faux!

Ha!


Confused?

I know.

Faux globe lights...

what in the world does that mean?

I'll show you...



First, I needed something to string the lights on. We always have a healthy supply of 2 x 4's out in the garage, so Will split a few of them in half on the table saw, to just under 1 and 3/4" each.

Then (just for looks) he ran them through the table saw again, cutting off each corner. Definitely not an essential step, but worth it if you have the time. Each one got a quick coat of white paint to blend in on our deck...


Once all of the posts were secured to the deck, we went under the house to dig out the Christmas boxes.

(Still confused?)

Instead of buying several boxes of expensive globe lights, I decided to use strands of Christmas lights we already own!


Totally FREE!

Perfect!


I used picture hangers nailed at the tops of the posts to hold the wire, and then we began to hang up the lights...



I wasn't sure how the green wire was going to look during the day, but as it turns out, it completely blends in with the surrounding landscape...


Once we got the strands of Christmas lights up and plugged in, I couldn't wait for nightfall to arrive to see how they were going to look...



As soon as it was dark, I flipped the switch and...


Viola!

The exact look I was going for, without any of the expense...


A free makeover that made a huge difference in the look and feel of our deck.

All we had to invest was a very small amount of time.

Does it get any better than that?

I mean, really?

If you are my husband, the answer is a resounding NO!

No, it does not get any better than that!




P.S. I am posting this over at Hooked On Houses
and DIY Day over at A Soft Place To Land
and at Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday


34 comments:

Aura said...

Love, it! We have some Moroccan style ones hanging over our back patio, and we turn them on every time we're out there burning the chiminea. What a great idea with Christmas lights, because we bought them for $10 a string (we needed two) at Target. They also have some that look just like the round globe lights you posted, but you can't beat free!

Your cool friend Cheryl said...

I love that look, too. For the longest time I thought the way to do it WAS with Christmas lights (like at tree lots)...silly me!

Mama Thompson said...

So beautiful....nice work once again!

EMILY G. said...

sooo gorgeous! by the way i totally went and gave you a thumbs up! thanks for sharing!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Great solution for a patio with no cover! I've had xmas lights stapled up on my patio for some time. What's really cool is you can unscrew every other one if you wish for a dimmer glow.

Donna

duchess said...

Great idea & looks wonderful.
Enjoy.

cottagewish said...

Those lights add the perfect effect. Great work!

TRICIA @ The Zoo said...

Hi Karla.
I think I already mentioned this, but I love your lights. Magical really.

I hope that you have a wonderful weekend! Maybe you'll get to enjoy that beautiful deck!

XO*Tricia

P.S. voted for ya'. your bedroom looks fantastic!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia said...

I love, love, love it. You are very creative and it certainly helps to have a handy hubby.

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Looks great! I too love globe lights, and I found some on clearance last year at Target. Hopefully I'll find another string or two this year!

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Such a great idea. It looks fabulous!!!

sarahjean and family said...

love it! great idea, now all i need is a deck.... :)

McCarty and Company said...

What a fabulous idea. I am going to do this to my front porch, thank you. Your blog is the greatest, love your style so much. Have a great day!!

shopannies said...

yes I love these as well and often have them sorrounding our camp site while camping

Nancy said...

I did this with the lights from Target early this summer for an outdoor party. Pity that it rained hard for the whole party. Just be careful not to string them between trees with feisty squirrels. Came home two days later with 2 strands chewed into 5. We were able to save the bulbs and now I know I will did out the christmas lights and use them there. Thanks for the great idea!

Lorie said...

That is breathtakingly pretty! Now I need some lights...AND a deck! ;D

Leanne said...

I love your faux globe lights. It just looks sooooo pretty. Thanks for sharing your great idea.

Leen said...

Love, love, love it!
But not as much as your gorgeous mountain view! WOW!

Anonymous said...

Hey Karla,

Your lights look great!

Just an FYI, Target has their globes lights on clearance. $9ish marked down from $12.99. They have clear and frosted globes and about 25'. I was tempted to get some for our trailer awning, but I held back. I know I am going to regret when we go camping again.

Jeanette

PS: I forgot to mention that I had a great time with you and Kelly. Thanks and hopefully we can all get together again soon!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karla, I missed voting for your beautiful bedroom, but oh my, it is gorgeous. I love, love all the little details you put together in there. It is one stunning room! I didn't see a whole post on it here, did I miss that? You are SO good at this stuff.

Jessica said...

They look amazing!! What a great porch! I think those lights are always the best, they create the best glow! :)

Sarah said...

GORGEOUS!! I need to do that in my backyard now. Love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

Love the look! We don't have a deck, but just put in a new patio ourselves. We added a store-bought gazebo and will definitely add Christmas lights to it next summer as it is getting way too cold now here and the gazebo will have to come down for winter.

Ruthies Renewed Treasured said...

Karla, love the glow that these lights put out. Lights change the whole feeling of a space, especially outside. Great way to make friends and family use the space outdoors! Our backyards should be an extension of our homes.
Love your ideas.

Ruthie

Sam said...

Beautiful! I love the look on the deck.

Stop over and say hi at my very new blog.

Swiss Avenue said...

I love the way the "faux" globe lights turned out! They look perfect on your deck!

Marsha's Mpressions said...

The outcome is awesome! And I love your view!!!! I can understand why you would want to light your deck with a view like that!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous! Love your deck, too - it's so big and open!
Nice solution! Gotta love FREE!

Kelly @ Dare to be Domestic said...

2 thumbs way, WAY up! I love it!! What a great outdoor space!

Dresser Girl said...

I STINKIN' LOVE 'EM!!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

It looks so pretty in your outdoor space. And wat a good solution to the pricey globe lights. Nice job!

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Ok...this calls for the use of my special word--FANTABULOUS!! I love it. We love all kinds of sparkly lighting. We have hung little lights on top of our picture molding that is next to our ceiling in 3 of our rooms. I feel like I am in fairy land. But when I try to take a photograph of it , it never shows it the way it really is....booooohoooo

Rita Kent at TesoroFino.Com said...

You struck it big on this one! You did an awesome job! I love it.

Stop by and see my lovely transformation and don't forget to see yesterday's post too!!!...My papa's hand-painted frescoes from the cathedrals of Southern Italy!

And if you like what you see, don't forget to click the "Follow" button so that we can inspire each other often!

jen jafarzadeh said...

what a fantastic makeover! that's a great set of christmas lights — way more glowy than the typical holiday string lights since they have the glass bulbs.