Monday, October 5, 2009

Nine. Eighteen...


That's our number.

918

It represents September 18th, which is the day, waaay back in 1993, that we started dating.


So when I was looking for a way to add a little visual interest to one of the oars I got while thrifting this summer, it hit me...

918

perfect!


Remember the oars?

They were just meant to be in my house. It was pure luck that no one had swiped them before I got to the Garage Sale...


One of the oars found a home in our entryway from the garage, but the other has been leaning in a corner of our living room, waiting to be put in just the right spot.

As I said a few days ago, final details are being worked out in our Master Bedroom...

this oar was one of them.

It just needed a little extra something to make it special.

That's where 918 comes in.



Since many of you have asked in the past just how I get my letters and numbers on signs and furniture, I thought I would take this opportunity to show you.

First, I find my font on the computer and then size it to fit my project...

(make sure you change the character setting to "outline" - no need to waste black ink printing out solid numbers)



After I print them out, I cut it down to size so that it will fit on the area to be painted. This will be my tracing paper...

(the G.I. Joe figures were left out from Owen's birthday party the night before...a common accessory found on our counters, tables, floors...)



Once I have my tracing paper spaced just right, I tape it down only on the top side...


For your project you will need white or black transfer paper depending on the base color of your project and the color of paint for your lettering. In this case, I was going for white letters and my project surface was fairly dark, so I went with white transfer paper...


I slide my transfer paper under my taped down tracing paper...


and start tracing...


It is worth it to stop and check that your numbers are transferring onto your project surface. I learned this the hard way, on a sign that had a whole lot of letters! It only took once to learn that lesson!



After my tracing is done and I am sure that my lines are clearly visible, I remove the transfer paper and take off my tracing paper...


Now it will be a cinch to fill in the numbers...


I use a paint pen for all of my lettering. You can find them at Michael's, JoAnne Etc, even most of the one-stop shopping grocery stores. To see an example, click here.


The paint pen that I used for this was on it's last leg. Not much ink left in it at all...but, it ended up working to my advantage! It just meant that I wouldn't have to do any sanding to remove some of the paint. I was going for old and aged, and that's what my nearly empty paint pen gave me...



Now...to hang the 7 foot tall oar vertically on the wall...



I had Will drill a hole through the handle and then I strung thick rope through it. I wrapped the handle in a haphazard way (I liked the look!) and then just hung it on a nail.


And there 918 hangs...



Just a number on an oar.

A random number to those who see it,

but a visual reminder of our beginning, for us.




Before and After pictures of our Master Bedroom are coming soon.

I promise!





P.S. I will posting this for DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
and Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps On The Porch

45 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

LOVE it, Karla!!! I am a huge fan of hanging unconventional items on walls...that's why my dad's banjo is on our FR wall. :) I like how the paint on the oar is a little distressed. Great job! Stopping by from Kimba's party tonight. :)

Your cool friend Cheryl said...

Looks great! I am a sucker for anything with letters or numbers painted on.

Hattie said...

I have been looking for an oar to hang on the wall, but I never thought of putting numbers on it. I love that yours have special meaning!

Aura said...

That is AMAZING. I've had an old oar sitting in my garage for a few months that I didn't know what to do with. Thanks for the great idea!

cottagewish said...

Thanks for the how to with the transfer paper. I've been loving your blog for some time now...you and your hubby are two creative people.

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys said...

Oh Karla, now I have to find something to put 707 on! I love that you personlized the oar with something other than your last name! great job and thanks for the step by step tutorial.

L.Duncan

SweetMelissa said...

What a fabulous project. I love the thought of using a special date for the numbers because my address is pretty boring!

Hey, check out our giveaway...
www.junk-fest.blogspot.com

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Great project...great look!!! Thank you for sharing!

Jill said...

That is super cool!

I'm gonna check with the Mr. but I am almost positive that 918 is also PD code for crazy person. *chuckle*

Sue said...

Karla, what a clever way to turn a meaningful number into something so functional as a wall hanging. I've learned something today from you- I've never done any transferring or painting like this before.
Thanks for visiting my blog today. It's a great way to meet talented people and glean some new ideas to make our homes look even better! Hope you'll enjoy making the leaf balls. They DO turn out quite well and for just a small amount of money, they also look good!
:- Sue

Mandy said...

I really like this project - very cute on the wall and the number is adorable. TFS!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I love this Karla!

Not only how the oar looks, but your tutorial was awesome. Now I can't wait for some numbers to go up somewhere around here...

Donna

jodi @ Pleasant Home said...

What a great idea!

Joanna @ The Casa said...

So great! I love it when the perfect project finally reveals itself. I have several finds waiting for the right inspiration.

Sheri said...

Oh I love it. And the special number. Our number is...are you ready? It's hard to remember: 111 LOL I know, it's tough to remember.1/11/91.


I have a linky party going you may want to link up: http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/10/room-month-great-pumpkin.html

KellyH said...

I love your numbers, picking a significant date it a great idea!!

Courtney Baker said...

Oh I LOVE THIS! Such a great idea!

Maya said...

So awesome!!! My two oars are still leaning in the corner!

Lori E said...

Once again some simple steps to make a nice piece a special piece. You really see the potential in something and make it even better.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Brilliant tip!! I love the end result and looks great in the room. Awaiting more photos please...
Janell

Fawn@Party of Five said...

How cool! I've been wondering about how to do the transfers... thanks for the info. And I love that you remember when you started dating.... our number is 1128. Maybe I'll try to work it into our master bedroom when I redo it!

Sherri S said...

That is TOO neat! I LOVE the sentiment behind the project too. I'm SURE it brings a smile to your face when you see it.

Shaorn said...

Lovely. A nice reminder of your beginning ... and pulling together for your future (get the oar analogy?) ... lol

Jenn said...

Absolutely love it! I need to find a way to bring "our beginning" into our home in subtle ways. Thanks for giving me something to think on!

Melanie said...

That is a great idea and I love how it will just be a random number to most but not to you.

Dresser Girl said...

I love it! I love the sentiment and details. It's all so totally me. GREAT JOB!!

Leen said...

Love it! It looks great. Who would have thought a garage sale oar could be so romantic *sigh*

Mrs. Foot said...

That's really sweet! I am a sucker for dates, too :)

Swiss Avenue said...

I love the oars. I love things that have meaning to you but that aren't jumping out and obvious to everyone else!! So perfect!

Kim said...

I like numbers and letters on items, even if they don't necessarily have a meaning. I appreciate the transfer paper tip. That's one thing I haven't used yet.

stefanie said...

it looks so elegant for an oar, i love the numbers and that they have meaning

MotherhoodFilm said...

I really enjoyed looking around your blog! What great ideas!! I especially love the meaning behind the number.
*Eliza’s blog*

Tricia Anne said...

I love how you chose "your number." Ours would be either 729 - the day we met or 215 - the day we married. :o)
Your painting turned out great. I need to find some of the same paper and pen ... a few days ago I blogged about how I made a sign and your way would be so much better!
Have a great week!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Shanty 2 Chic said...

Great job on your oar! I love the numbers and the rope! ~ Ashley

Marsha's Mpressions said...

What a cool look and I love the sentiment too!

NM said...

So glad I found this beautiful blog! I love this project and can't wait to your next one. Best wishes,NM.

Jane said...

I love those oars...great find at a garage sale!! The numbers on it look fabulous...I'm crazy for anything with letters and numbers.
Jane

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

I just love the numbers you painted they look so chic and it looks so easy, I just must give it a try...love the look..I am a new follower.....come for a visit

Christi @ A Southern Life said...

What a clever way to honor a special date!

Christi

Matt and Ashlee said...

That is so cute! I have never tried that tracing paper...

Patti said...

what a clever idea...I love how you hung the oar, and especially love the idea behind the number - very romantic

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Nice and I love the oar, number or no number it is wonderful!

~Country Lady~ said...

What a great idea! The significance behind the number makes it even more special! Love the way you have it displayed. You have a great blog.

Shady Lady! said...

I LOVE this! I never knew transfer paper existed. This looks great!

La Dolfina said...

Love this idea so much... and I have the perfect oar which is leaning in a corner of our garage just waiting to be transformed!! Thank you so much for the beautiful inspiration :)
Your newest follower