Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Sweet Smell Of Fall...


As I sat here yesterday morning editing photos, I had my music playing and my Fall candles burning. The rain was hitting the windows and it was nice to be at home with no place to go.

This time of year, if I am home, candles are lit.

My favorite this time of year:

Pumpkin Spice by Yankee Candle Co.

It just makes the house smell like Fall...


But for me, there is something else that marks the Autumn Season. Something that reminds me of my childhood, and that no doubt, will be a memory for my kids when they are adults.

When I was growing up, my mom would throw a bunch of spices into a pot to simmer on the stove. I love how it makes the whole house smell spicy and sweet. So when I moved away from home, I began the tradition for myself.

The best part is that you can customize the scent so that it smells just how you like it.

Every Fall I go through my cupboard and gather everything that would smell yummy if I were baking...


Almond Extract, Allspice, Orange Peel


Cinnamon...lots of cinnamon!


Whole Cloves, Pumpkin Pie Spice, Vanilla Extract


Ground Cloves, Nutmeg


Whatever you imagine would smell good together, probably will!

(I like to do a lemon version too - makes the house smell fresh and clean with just enough sweetness added into the mix!)



Once you have picked your ingredients, toss them all into a pot...


Yesterday I went with Cinnamon, Allspice, Orange Peel, Cloves and a bit of Almond Extract...


Add water to your spices and simmer on the stove...


Word to the wise:

Many times I have started the heat at Medium High so that I could rapidly get the spices to a level where I could smell the aroma, always intending to be right there the moment it starts to boil so that I could turn it down to Medium Low.

I cannot tell you how may times (countless) I have walked away, only to remember just a moment too late that I needed to turn the spices down, and rushing back to find the pot boiling over. And let me tell you, this stuff is a pain to clean off of the stove!

So, while it certainly feels like a watched pot never boils, in this case it is a pretty small pot and if the heat is too high it will boil...quickly!

I have learned to start it on Medium Low and patiently wait for the aroma to fill the house.

Slow and Steady wins the race, right?

The level of the water will go down quite a bit, so just keep adding more water.

It is an easy way to fill your house with the smell of baking...

or in my case,

the smell of Fall!





P.S. It's DIY Day over at A Soft Place To Land!

Check it out!


23 comments:

Curvaliscious said...

Thank you for sharing this! I was just whining to myself about the fact that I don't have any scented candles when I saw this on my google reader. :)

~Country Lady~ said...

Oh I can smell it now. I have the same kind of day today that you spoke of yesterday! I do this at Christmas using fresh orange peel, some cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, lemon peel, and bay leaves with water. It's perfect for the smells of Christmas!! I think I'll go right now and start my simmer slowly with the spices you mentioned. Thanks for reminding me.

Sarah @ Dream In Domestic said...

This is a fantastic idea! I live in an apartment and am not allowed to burn candles, so I definitely should do this myself. I miss smelling pumpkin pie and apples in the fall, so I'm going to set out to create my own version of these smells I love so much!

becky said...

What a great idea! Im going to try this for sure.Everyone is posting such homey cozy blogs this time of year Im loving it.Thanks for sharing yours!

becky said...

Oh and i just wanted to say my favorite candle for this time of year by Yankee is Macintosh Apple.Love love it, smells like real apples cooking.

Heather said...

Ahhhh nothing gets me in the holiday mood like the smell of cinnamon!!! :)

Tracy is ... Loving Pretty Things said...

i grew up to the same smells...my mom putting a pot of boiling spices on the stove. OH, it smelled so good.

I do the same thing - I sometimes add a sliced orange, makes that clove, cinnamon, allspice stretch a little further - and tweaks it ever-so slightly!

Love your blog - so glad Tara introduced me to you!

xo

Lou Cinda said...

I do this same thing and just love it!! I am bad to let the water boil out of the pot and also have a mess! But it SMELLS WONDERFUL!!!

Have a great day!

Lou Cinda :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

I can smell it now! This would be a great thing to do with the half used bottles of spices people seem to like to sell at garage sales.

northern cottage said...

I adore that lovely smell as well - hands down my fav candle this time of year (in fact, have a mini one next to me as I type this now!!) Your recipe smells lovely.

If it DOES boil over - check out the bottom of my soup post from today for an easy clean up (coincidence??)

http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This post makes me wish I could smell. :s

Beth said...

Thank you so much for reminding me to do this. My mom used to do this. I always wondered why she had a pot of spices just cooking on the stove, LOL Now that I'm an adult and have my own home I understand :)

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

I always have candles burning, but now I need to try this! Thanks!

Melanie said...

I use to do that all the time. I remember my mom doing it too when I was growing up. You just get so much more wonderful aroma by doing it this way.

Melissa said...

I use to do this all the time when I was a teenager, but not once since I've been married! Thanks for the reminder!

Tina said...

What a great post! It's true... there is a certain smell to fall. For more its Macintosh by Yankee Candle :)

http://tinasz.blogspot.com/

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I never knew they orange peel could be bought as a spice like that! Thanks! :)

Annie said...

Done! Went straight to the kitchen and dumped a bunch of yummies in the pot with water and am now enjoying the smells of fall!!! Thank you for reminding us that we don't NEED something store bought to have something awesome!!!!

Missy Luukkonen said...

I didn't even finish reading the comments and my mixture is on the stove as we speak! What a fabulous ideas! I too love fall candles, and they are what i burn all year long! Cinnamon, spice, and vanilla! Love them all! Thanks for the great idea, my husband is gonna come home and think I baked a pie! :)

Lori said...

Pumpkin Spice is my fav candle ~ it really is! I love your simmering pot though ~ how easy and you have everything on hand ~ too simple and I love simplicity!

{ L } said...

I just love every single thing about this post! It made me feel all warm and cozy, lol. Great idea with the spices too. thanks!

LizO said...

I do that too. I also like to do it to add some humidity to the house and give my humidifiers a rest so they aren't running all the time.

This way you kill two birds with one stone.

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I love this idea. I will be this tomorrow morning! I love your blog too & I'm going to follow you.