Monday, November 23, 2009

All Dressed Up...


With only 3 days to go until Thanksgiving, I can't help but be drawn to images and memories of Thanksgiving's past.

For me, the table decor is most often about simplicity...

Easy on the eye, elegant and not at all overdone.



My centerpieces for Thanksgiving dinner 2007 were made by filling two identical vases with cranberries and flowers, greenery and berries from the local grocery store...


By using different shades of fall colors and adding hints of coral with the sprigs of berries, I was able to achieve the look I wanted. Using small vases that stand only 6" tall, meant that I could keep the centerpieces tight and compact so that our guests could sit at the table and still have a conversation at eye level.

I was happy with how they turned out and the best part was that it was accomplished on a very small budget!


I made our place cards by wrapping three cinnamon sticks with twine and adding a tag with each guests name handwritten on it. Set in the center of each plate, it gave off a natural and organic look, but even better was that it smelled wonderful as well!


We love hosting gatherings and Thanksgiving dinner 2007 was no exception!



Here is a little inspiration if you're still searching for the perfect way to get your Thanksgiving table
all dressed up...

















So pretty!

........................................................................


Time for me to go shopping!

I have a list of items to get for Thanksgiving dinner as well as the ingredients for Cranberry Orange Bread that I am making for the boys to take to their teacher's on Wednesday. It is one of my favorite things to make during the holiday season.

It's delicious!


I'll be sure to share the recipe!


Three days to go...are you ready?




P.S. I am posting this over at Be Different...Act Normal. She's trying out MckLinky and is looking for Thanksgiving posts. Got one to add to the list? Head over and check it out!

10 comments:

snowman hill said...

Thank you for sharing! I loved them all! I am going out of town for Thanksgiving with my in-laws and cooking for my family on Friday. I need to go shopping too!
Krista

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Love the saying on the edge of the tablecloth! Wonderful. Have a festive Holiday! Janell

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great inspiration photos. :) I wish we could stay home and host. We'll be traveling to TN yet again to visit with my husband's enormous extended family. The meal itself is always delicious, but with so many people present (40-50), they don't do much by way of centerpieces. :) Someday, maybe I'll get a shot at hosting a much more paired down celebration. Hope yours is wonderful!

{ L } said...

Your cinnamon place cards are such a good idea! I so enjoy seeing what you come up with always. :) Holiday table settings are so fun to look at! I also, did as you mentioned and went with a simple setting this year. I posted it and you can see my T Day table here:

http://www.mooreminutes.com/2009/11/thanksgiving-table-2009-and-kids-table.html

I used that Martha Stewart wheat photo you have on your post for inspiration on my centerpiece.
Have a Happy Thanksgiving! It looks like those '07 pics were a HAPPY day for your family. :)

Lori E said...

We have already had Thanksgiving here in Canada. Now I am thinking I should celebrate it again this week, you make it all so tempting.

Natasha said...

We are going to have a little "Aussie" thanksgiving at my place so I loved looking at all of your gorgeous pictures. I might just use the place card idea-that is too cute!
I hope you and your family have a very special Thanksgiving together.
Best wishes, Natasha.

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Your table was lovely, Karla! Wishing you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Donna

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'm popping over to wish y'all a Happy Thanksgiving.
I hope you turkey browns and your sweet potato souffle fluffs~ on your lovely tables.

down pillow said...

So many wonderful images! I really love the one with the cute little boy grinning from ear to ear - he looks so mischevious :)

Karin Katherine said...

Love the Cinnamon Stick name tags!