Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Came Early...


...for me, anyway!


Check it out...


Can you tell what it is?


Old windows.

Lots and lots of old, beautiful windows!


My sister-in-law, Becky, and her husband, Ryan, live in Portland, OR in a neighborhood that was built in the very early 1900's. A couple of months ago, while on a bike ride they noticed a huge stack of old windows sitting on the lawn in front of a house in their neighborhood. The woman who lived in the house was replacing all of her home's original windows with brand new one's.

Becky asked the woman what she was planning on doing with them and the woman said, basically, "if you want them, take them" - she just really wanted them gone and off her lawn. Becky gave Ryan the look (knowing full well that you don't run across this kind of jack-pot every day!), so Ryan rode home, got in the truck and went back to load em' up!

They know my affinity for old windows and were confident that between Will and I, we would be able to make something great with them.

They were planning on saving them for me for Christmas, but circumstances made it easier for them to get the windows up here now. They're currently sitting in our garage, waiting to be used.

I'm thinking the playhouse could use another window, for sure.

And after that, the sky is the limit!

Time to get creative.



Thanks, Becky and Ryan!

I am giddy!





19 comments:

Photographing Mom said...

Oh wow!!! Not jealous, nope, not at all......okay....maybe a little....

Miss Mustard Seed said...

That is an awesome stash. I can't understand your giddiness!

Lori E said...

I have a few myself. One I switched out to a mirror and put it over a small shelf. Another I painted with flowers and it is outside on my shed. I still have a couple more in my garage including one that was a door sideframe and is still encased in the full wood panel full of dental molding and crown moldings.
I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Jennifer said...

I have a stack in the basement... not sure what to do with them yet. Can't wait for some inspiration from you! :)

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Giddy would be the right word, certainly, I'd say!!!! Oh, what will you do, what will you do...
Janell

High Heels and Aprons said...

What a great find! How thoughful of them to think of you! Can't wait to see what you have in store for them!

Julie G. said...

I'm so jealous and wished you still lived in Arizona!! I have been going to Gerson's and to the Habistore looking for a window like that!!! I love your blog, still trying to talk my husband into doing board and batten in our bedroom..he works nights..so I'm thinking some morning I'll have pulled an all nighter and done it!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

What a fun gift! :)

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

What a wonderful gift! How great that they know your likes so well that you immediately came to mind with their great find. I'll be looking forward to seeing how you guys use them.

Magic Brush said...

Oh I love old windows too!!!!! SCORE for you!!!! I did a post on old windows that you can see here if you are interested! Merry Christmas!

http://themagicbrushinc.blogspot.com/2009/07/altered-window-panes.html

Jill said...

Holy Moly!

baludec17 said...

Wow! great share. Good post, nice blog. Thanks for share good post.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I can't wait to see what you make out of these!

GypsyNurse said...

I think I am giddy with you!
Can;t wait to see what you make!
xo
Cat

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

I'm so excited for you!

Melanie said...

That is a great find. I can't wait to see what you do with them.

Mary Jean, also known as "The Dough Nut" said...

I've got a stash in my garage I found by the roadside about a month ago! Let me know what you come up with! I'm itching to do something with them, but have not had the time until after the holidays!

down comforter said...

That's awesome - Merry Christmas to you!!!!

AngieDphotography said...

super awesome!