Friday, December 18, 2009

Embellishing Our Sparkly Candles...



I must say, I think they turned out great!


Here is what I did to dress them up.


Last night I went to sleep having finished the process of gluing on the Epsom Salt with the Mod Podge...


I let them sit on the drying rack overnight, so that the mod podge would (hopefully) be good and cured by this morning when I needed to get them fancied up and wrapped for the boys to give to their teachers.

I used some red, satin ribbon...


steel wire...


and ball point pins...


I wrapped the ribbon around the candle lining it up just past where the epsom salt ended. I wrapped the ribbon as tightly as I could, while trying to cause the least amount of disruption to the salt (this was easier said than done). I folded over the ribbon on the end that would overlap and secured it with two matching red pins stuck directly into the candle...



I then took my wire, making sure that I had enough of it to wrap around the candle several times, and twisted it in the back to keep the wire tight...

I punched a hole in a small card that I attached to the candle, running the wire through the hole...


The greeting I wrote in their teacher's cards:


Hoping your Holiday is

Merry & Bright!




I am really happy with how they look!

The satin ribbon makes the candle feel fun and festive for Christmas, and the wire adds just a bit more shine to the already sparkly candles.




Of course, once Christmas is over, they can take off the wire and ribbon if they choose and they will be left with an elegant, simple candle that they can enjoy all year long.




I found the perfect gift bags for our 9 inch candles in the...

wine department

at the grocery store!

Seriously.

Wine bags were the only bags tall enough.

And once I saw these bags, I knew the boys would love them, which would make it even more fun for them to present to their teachers...


I'm going to dress up the other 4 candles that I made last night to give as gifts as well, but I want to change up the look a bit.

Maybe a bit more rustic and subdued.

Here's hoping the next four work out as smoothly as the first two!




P.S. I am posting this at:

The Inspired Room for Holiday Linky Friday

The Shabby Nest for Frugal Friday


22 comments:

pk said...

pk @ Room Remix
They turned out great and those gift bags are ADORABLE! Have a good weekend...

PJ@nmyfreetime.blogspot.com said...

WOW these candles are wonderful!

Mama Thompson said...

So Vicki needs a $10 gift for a family gathering (that I can't attend...*sniffle*) and I told her to make these...the way you finished them up is so fantastic that I am pretty sure they will be the "it" gift of the night....:)

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

Simply gorgeous, Karla!!

Happy Holidays!

Embellished Bayou said...

Love these! The sparkle and red ribbon is fab!

tami said...

The candles are great and the wine bags are perfect for candles- nicely done!

Emily@remodelingthislife said...

love it!! So clever.

Sue @ Not the Good Scissors! said...

What a great idea. I would have never thought of using epsom salts. And inexpensive. My kind of project!
Sue

Astrid said...

What a super splendid idea! I might have to borrow- steal- that idea! :)

Charlotte said...

I love how your candles turned out..I am taking notes to use next year for teacher gifts!
Merry Christmas!

Jill said...

They turned out so cute!
-Jill

Its So Very Cheri said...

Love the gift bag and the candles are adorable.
I have had so many Google problems-and it isn't over-Google has no idea how to solve the problem.
Sorry I haven't been by much-I decided after weeks and weeks of non-stop Google issues, I am throwing my hands up and making much needed visits.
I hope you have a Very Merry Christmas and hope you can come by for a visit. I will continue posting, even if it doesn't show up in the Reader.
Cheri

amelquist said...

My candles are currently drying! I am so glad I happened upon your blog! I hope my kids teachers love them! I made some for my family and myself also. The craft store here didn't have many of the sale candles left, so I snatched them up. I also made some small ones which I really like also! Thanks and Happy Holidays!

jaimeparis said...

The candles look beautiful as they are, but all wrapped up, they are simply fabulous!
Holiday hugs, Erika

Melanie said...

Great idea. You girls online have so many projects that are just great little gems. My son is homeschooling, so I get to skip the teachers this year:)

down comforter said...

Wow, those look great!!! I would have never thought of using epsom salts & wine bags - so clever :)

Rocio @ Casa Haus said...

Lovely candles! I love how your wrapped them in the red ribbons.Pretty!

Bevie said...

Oh I love your blog and so happy I found it before Christmas...I still have time to do some of these!!! Awesome...Blessings for a Merry Christmas...
Bevie

Bella's Bowtique said...

I saw both boys walking to school with their gift bags for their teachers in hand. You know I was dying to know what was inside!!!! LOL!!!! Love it!

Nina Patricia @ The Adventures of Nina Patricia said...

These are lovely!

Sarah @ The Pumpkin Patch said...

Hello! I just found your blog and I can't believe how creative you are!! I will definitely be checkiing in from now on. I've also added you to my blog list of favorites. Come take a peak at my blog if you like.

Primary Work at Home said...

Great work! This is a perfect piece every holiday.