Monday, December 7, 2009

My Semi-Homemade Christmas Wreath...


When I think of a "homemade" wreath, I think of something that was created using small bundles of greenery, sprigs of berries, floral wire and tape, and lots and lots of time - creating something from nothing.

Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of time or money.

So I set out to make a wreath for our front door that would cost me very little of both - a quick and inexpensive project that I would, hopefully, love just as much as a the kind of wreath that I would normally buy at Christmas time.

That was the goal, anyway!

I wanted it to be big and fat, super lush, and able to take up the entire width of our front door.

And I did it! Here's how I achieved it...

To start, I bought two faux pine wreaths at 50% off - one 36" and one 24". Both pretty scrawny on their own, I figured that if I set the small wreath inside the larger one I would be able to make it look as if it was one big wreath...


Each wreath has a thick wire frame to hold it's shape...


I just needed to tightly connect them and make it stable enough to hang...


In order to get the frames lined up correctly, I had to elevate the outer wreath, so I grabbed a few lengths of 2x4's to place only under the larger wreath. It made it just the right height and so much easier to work with...


Elevating the larger wreath created a "bowl" in the center that lined up the inner ring of the large wreath and the outer ring of the small wreath...


I used 20 gauge wire, which was definitely strong enough to hold the frames together...


But for extra strength (and peace of mind) I twisted the wire between the frames to make it more rigid...


The result looks like this...


I made sure that I kept the wreaths the same distance apart the whole way around, so that my finished wreath would look even...


Once the frames were connected, it looked like this...


There were plenty of holes in the wreath when I flipped it over to take a look at it...


...but I gave it a good fluffing and, as I had hoped, I was unable to tell that it had begun as two separate wreaths.


But the true test was to hang it on the door and see how it was going to look...


I liked it!


A lot!


On to decorating it.

Frosted berries on wired stems made it super easy to tuck them into the wreath and wrap the ends around the wreaths wire frame...


I added a red, satin ribbon to make it appear as if the wreath was hung by the ribbon, but I really have it hanging from a large suction cup hanger on the glass door...


I am not a bow kind of girl, when it comes to wreaths. But I wanted the ribbon to create a bit more interest than it would have had if I had just wrapped it flat around the wreath. I added the knot to see how it would look and I really like how it turned out...


How did I attach the ribbon to the glass door frame?


Duct tape, my friends!


No one can see it and it works like a charm!

I got green ornament hooks for this project because I wanted to use them to attach my ornaments without seeing any silver or gold (as you would from the typical hooks)...


I bought several tubes of shatter-proof ornaments for $1.00 each, sticking with the same colors that I have decorated with in our entryway...


...lime green and red...


Just a quick twist of the ornament hook and the color was placed on the wreath...



I love how it turned out!


But even more, I love how inexpensive and easy it was!


Everything for this project was purchased at the Dollar Store, with the exception of the two wreaths, which I got at JoAnne's for 50% off. The large wreath was $8.00 and the smaller wreath was $6.00. All told, I spent less than $20.00 on this project.

In the end I have a big, wide, colorful, pine wreath that fits in perfectly with my front door Christmas decor.


Don't get me wrong, I love a big, fresh, real pine wreath!

But I *think* I just might like this one better...

and at half the price of a real one, I know that Will likes it better!




P.S. Don't forget to enter today's Giveaway in our 5 Days Of Giveaway's Party!

Click here for all of the details!


P.S.S. I am posting this at:

49 comments:

L.Duncan@home23duncanboys said...

Karla

I'm back in the Christmas spirit thanks to this post!!

Love your front door!!!

Bonnie said...

I love it - thanks for the great tutorial!

myrepurposedlife.blogspot.com said...

the whole project is brilliant! great idea to put the 2 wreaths together, love the fact that you "hooked" the ornaments on instead of gluing them!
super tutorial! thanks for sharing!
gail

Christine said...

I love love love this! So awesome that you put the two together to make a big one!

Misty said...

I love it! I have to get going somewhere to get started on me one! I have had it in my ideas file for some time now!!!! Maybe I will get to it this week! You did a great job!!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

So very pretty and full! $20 that will last more than one year too. I think the time you spent spacing and securing the two wreaths was well worth it in results. It looks very high end.

Melanie said...

Excellent job. Gorgeous.

Jen said...

I love it! So easy, and cheap, yet it looks great! Thanks for sharing- you've inspired me :)

Cottage Dreamers said...

Good idea to layer the wreaths!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I love it too! The lime green and red really pop. I like the idea of meshing the two wreaths together. That's a great tip! You did a great job!!

P@nmyfreetime.blogspot.com said...

What a beautiful wreath!

~Country Lady~ said...

Okay, your front door is fantastic by itself....but the wreath makes it spectacular! I love the wreath, the garland, and the entire look. What a great job and such wonderful inspiration. I am so amazed at the immense talent in blogland. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Chad and Kristen @ The Tomato Vine said...

You are so SMART! Love it!!

Jane said...

It looks very lush, Karla. I would say 'mission accomplished'!!!

Katie said...

What a wonderful job! I love it and the great tutorial!!

Tricia Anne said...

Your wreath looks fabulous! And thank you for a great step by step! :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

lkjatl said...

It looks great Karla! You would never know it started out as two different wreaths. I use zip-ties and pipe cleaners to secure all kinds of things throughout the holidays. They work like a charm!!

Lori E said...

Awesome job, but you already know that. Don't you love it when a plan comes together.

SILVIA said...

it's really nice!..

Happymom4 aka Hope Anne said...

What a great idea! I love, love the color combo!! Such a "traditional but fresh" take on the usual red and green!

www.xanga.com/happymom4

Leen said...

I LOVE it! How clever to put a knot in the ribbon! It dresses it up just enough :)

Jill said...

Karla your wreath turned out beautiful! I love it and the garland.

Sharon said...

Definitely homemade. Great idea to put two wreaths together ...

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Absolutely beautiful! Well done!

Robin's Nesting Place said...

That is beautiful! I think I need to make a trip to the Dollar Tree!

Amie Christine said...

where'd you get the ornaments from for only a dollar a tube?!

CRICKET said...

I am more of a "nature" girl when it comes to wreaths but this one "blew me" away and I may have to be a convert!

Stephanie Lynn said...

So classic! Happy Holidays!

Amy Kinser said...

You did a wonderful job decorating your front door. I love the wreath and the garland.

Thanks for sharing...

swedafrican said...

Wow that wreath is amazing! Your front door looks stunning!

Mrs. Nepper said...

Looks incredible. Nice work!

jennibell said...

I love how your wreath matches the garland on your door. . .gorg!

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

LOVE how big it is!!

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Your door looks fabulous! I invite you to link this up to my Thrifty Thursday party. Mr linky will be up this evening. Great inspiration, great door-on a budget. Who cant appreciate that?

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your wreath is gorgeous!! So nice and full.

Becca @ Blue Cricket Design said...

Karla,

that's my favorite color green so of course I love this!!! Thanks for linking!

glor said...

Your front door looks amazing... Like you spent a lot of money! I agree, I do like a nice big realy one, but yours looks better! Will be stopping by the $$$ store to pick up the ornaments!

Ashley said...

It's so big and lush and pretty! I think that this is on my project list for next year! Great job!

happy mama said...

How creative of you to put the 2 wreaths together like that! Looks GREAT!

Teresa said...

Beautiful- love the numbers on your door and the star fish hanging from the windows
Merry Christmas

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

Using two wreaths is a great idea because even the larger wreaths do tend to be scrawny! The balls look great hooked in! Off to Michaels!
~Nancy

Sturgmom said...

The wreath and the garland look so beautiful (I'm assuming you made the garland, too?)! Fabulous idea to put 2 wreaths together!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Beautiful entry. Love the green and red.
Just an fyi most people are not getting the correct info in their reader-my updates are over 2 weeks old and I have made multiple other posts. I've been on with Google multiple times and they don't have an answer and I am not getting everyones updates in my reader either.

Cheri

Its So Very Cheri said...

Be sure to check out my post
Cheri

Denise said...

That wreath is amazing! I wish I had seen it earlier. There is always next year!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Your entrance looks great! That was clever to put both of the wreaths together to make one beefy wreath. Great job!

Jen said...

I love the numbers on your door. That picture could be on the cover on a magazine.

Gail @ Black Copper DIY said...

I ADORE that wreath! Good job! I'm going to *try* to make one -- would look perfect hanging on the mirror above our living room fireplace. Thanks for the inspiration.

Charlotte said...

Beautiful wreath! You give such great tutorials...I am new to your blog and am enjoying it so much! Thanks for sharing.