Saturday, January 9, 2010

Owen's Closet Overhaul - In Progress...


We've spent the first week of the New Year with our hands in a project.

Owen's closet is getting a major overhaul!

I couldn't be more thrilled, and honestly...

I'm still pretty shocked that I convinced Will to go along with the idea.

Why?

Because we're taking a standard home builder closet with bi-fold doors and wire shelving and turning it into one big doorless, bookcase.

I know. I'm sure some of you are thinking "why?"

That's what Will had said too.

Well, there are a couple things you must know about Owen to grasp the reasoning behind this project.

1. Owen doesn't care about clothes.
He's the kid that would be more than happy to wear sweats and a ratty, old, too small T-shirt every day of the week, if I would let him. He wears a uniform to school and that alone keeps his wardrobe pretty limited. The need for a large, open closet for hanging clothing is a complete waste in Owen's room.

2. Owen's prized possessions are made up of many, many, many pieces.
He loves his marble tracks (all 3 of them), his race tracks (two of those), his train set, his two big bins of legos, his remote control helicopters and all of his books. Unfortunately for me, this makes for one big messy bedroom.

Here's a little Owen logic that he gave to me a few weeks ago during a conversation we were having in his bedroom:

Me: Owen...why do you keep your room so messy?
(said in a pleading tone)

Owen: Because.

Me: Because why??

Owen: I just...like it this way.

Me: Why would you possibly like to have it a mess all of the time?
Can't you just put your toys away at night before you go to bed?


Owen: (he looks up at me from the floor with big, convincing eyes)

Mom...this way I just don't have to get them all out again.

Me: (as a smile slowly spreads over my face)

Well, you have a point.


You've got to love the way a 6 year old brain thinks!


Now here's some of my logic...

Since toys are the main focus in Owen's life right now at the ripe old age of 6, and clothing falls waaaaay down on the list below...well, almost everything else, I've decided that it would be much easier to accommodate Owen's needs (and mine) and make his room much more toy storage friendly.

Think this:


and this...


or even this...

Nice!

(Except for the thousand dollar price tag!)


It is my dream to give Owen's room the ability to be that organized!

(Notice that I said the "ability". I am not delusional enough to believe it will look that organized all of the time. BUT, at least it will be able to!)


So, as soon as the boys left for school, we got to work.

We cleared out his closet, which up until Tuesday, looked like a bomb had gone off in it. It held his dresser, two hanging cubby storage systems, sleeping bags, extra shoes, an assortment of random items and all of our families board games. The way it was set up was a terrible waste of space and did not function well at all.

So we took everything out, including the wire shelving that the builder had installed.

We patched the holes, tested the color that the closet would become and made marks on the wall to get a feel for where the new shelves would go.

Ellison wanted to help paint...

Luckily, she was content to pretend with a dry brush.


After a coat of my favorite color

(Benjamin Moore - Wedgewood Gray)...


we tacked up the laser level and drew out the lines for our shelves.

Will installed the first piece of ripped down MDF that would serve as the back bracket for our shelves...


(if you look closely you can see our pencil lines we drew right on the wall)



Once all of the brackets were installed along the back and sides, I painted them to blend in with the wall. Will cut the shelves to size and the new bookcase closet started to take shape...


The closet is 6' wide and 2' deep, so it's a good size and will be able to hold all of Owen's prized posessions.

We're still working out a few minor details before I can start painting it all the same blue. Then the pine trim will be added to the fronts of all of the shelves, and that will get painted the same white as the trim around the closet.

I cannot wait to get all of Owen's things put back in!

Not only do I think it is going to look great, but I know that the new found organization will be a huge asset in this room.


And I must say...I'm a bit jealous.

How great would this be for a bedroom closet turned craft room?

Maybe someday!




P.S. I am posting this at:

Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Finding Fabulous for Frugalicious Friday
Between Naps On The Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Make It For Monday at Cottage Instincts
Make Your Monday at Twice Remembered
DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land
Show And Tell at Blue Cricket Designs

53 comments:

Nikki said...

This is such a great idea for a boys closet! I have a 4 year old boy that loves his toys, so I know how you feel. I can't wait to see it all finished.

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Can't wait to see the final pictures! I am already jealous - it is looking great...

Danielle

Melanie said...

I love that idea. My son is 15 yrs. old and he doesn't have toys anymore but he doesn't care about clothes either. If his room were smaller, this would be a great idea for the closet. I can't wait to see the final outcome and all his things displayed.

Lori E said...

Neither one of my sons had clothes in their closets. Shelves and a laundry hamper maybe but no hanging rods for clothes.
Now one of them holds all my bedding.

P@nmyfreetime.blogspot.com said...

oh wow! it looks amazing already!
i am so looking forward to the transformation!
i would love a craft closet or even a studio closet for my husband!! you have inspired me!

Kristin said...

Very nice! Very inspiring!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, I love it already! I like the color you chose to do on the back wall so it blends in. :) My hubs did something very similar in a little area in our addition. Such a Godsend, b/c it gave my girls a huge space for their toy bins.

Wish I could do this in my younger daughter's room, but she needs the space for CLOTHES. ;)

stacy said...

that's a great idea for the closet. we just finished painting our diningroom/kitchen your and my favorite color "wedgewood gray". can i ask what color you chose for the white trim work. we would like to repaint ours and there are about 5000 different shades of white at ace hardware. any ideas?

Allyson said...

Oh Karla! What a great idea for his bedroom (dare I call it a closet, as a closet is for CLOTHES!)

Ally

McCarty and Company said...

THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!! My husband is going to hate you. LOL I have been trying to think of a solution for my sewing/craft/computer room. This would be perfect. :-)
I can't wait to see the after pics. Owen is going to love his room!!! Great job!!!

Mrs. 5C said...

This is a WONDERFUL idea!! I can't wait to see the finished product!
I've been tossing around the idea of doing something like this with the short wall of our living room. So this post is a good confidence-booster. :)

MeganSloan said...

Love this idea! Can you get my husband to do it for my daughter's room? She also has two next to each other and I'd love to be able to organize it with some shelving system... guess I should go suck up to the hubby... lol! Can't wait to see the finished project!

lkjatl said...

Love the idea! I too have considered doing this in an extra bedroom for crafts and scrapbooking!!

Elizabeth Logan said...

Great idea . . wish I would have thought of it when my son was little! I'm even one of the luck ones who has a Hubby that's a carpenter!

One thing you could do to identify the purpose of the shelf space & spice up the space is to use vinyl lettering words to say "Toys", "Books", etc. I'm an Uppercase Living demonstrator and you can design your own expressions by picking the font & color and the price is very reasonable. Just a thought! :)

Elise said...

Oh, that is such a great idea!! If I thought this was my forever home I would so do the same.
Elise

Colleen said...

I have to say that I think it is a fantastic idea because we had the same thing done last year in my daughter's closet. The only difference is she was 25 years old! She has hundreds of books and dvds. She is not into clothes nearly as much as books and movies. Therefore she designed her closet for her needs and she loves it.

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

What a great project!
I can't wait to see it when its finished. I sooo with I could do this with my son's closet.
~Amy

Cha Cha said...

I am waiting on the edge of my seat for the finished product. Hurry, I can hardly wait.
Cha Cha

Sarah said...

Wow, I can't wait to see the finished product. I know it will be amazing!
God's blessings, Sarah :D

Heather said...

Looks like you're off to a great start! I'm looking forward to seeing the end result.

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

This is a fantastic idea - it looks so good already!

Mary said...

I love using closets for purposes other than hanging clothes! I once put my bed within a closet and added shelving on the sides, so it looked as if it was a built in nook. I can't wait to see how organized and wonderful his closet will turn out!!!

Astrid said...

How completely awesome! I wish I could talk my hubby into doing that with our guest bedroom closet...then I could store all my craft supplies neatly. Now, question- what will he use to hang his clothes? (assuming that in the future he might need to hang some clothes)

Charlotte said...

wow!! i can't wait to see it all finished and full of Owen's toys and books! this closet will really "grow" with him as his needs change for storage...you could even add a chair and make one of the lower shelves a "desk" when he needs one for schoolwork!

Jen C. said...

Loving the closet, and the paint color!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Don't you love the mind of a 6yr old!
I can't wait for the finished product.

Girly Stuff said...

It is looking awesome! Really really really awesome!

A word of advice.

You will carefully organize the boxes with the appropriate toys in each one. This will not be repeatable my him. No matter how loudly you tell him. Ha! Just let it go and as long as the toys at least make it into the boxes, let that be your happy. It will be the only way to stay sane.

Does it sound like I have lived this?

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

My parents did this in our room as kids! It worked out great because you did have all your toys "there" where you could get to them! I think he will love it!

jackie said...

Looks great so far! can't wait to see it finished!!

Norma Lee @ Norma Lee Good said...

This is EXACTLY what I need to do. A couple of years ago {pre=toddler} there was something on DIY TV about getting the most space out of children's closets because they couldn't reach everything. I have been planning on doing that this month-making more space and this is what I need to do! Also..have you seen knockoffwood.blogspot? She has like every plan you would want for PB, Restoration and W.S., Land of Nod etc. It's on my blog if you can't find it. I can't wait to see the closet! SOrry this is a novel!

Stella said...

What a great idea for boys of any age. Can't wait to everything in place. Thanks for sharing.

Barb @ GritsandGlamour said...

What a fantastic idea. I think closets are so under utilized. I wish I had thought of this when my son was small. He was the same way...he's 25 and still is in many ways. LOL I can't wait to see the after. Thanks for sharing, Barb

Vivian said...

Great idea. I'm sure the finished look will be great. It will be very easy to install a clothes rod if you ever decide to move.

Cara said...

This is SUCH a great idea! I've got a space in the playroom that would be perfect for some custom built shelves like this. Why didn't I think of that?! :)

Cat said...

Wow, this is looking so good. I wish we had such great carpentry skills. I can't wait to see the final.

Treasia Stepp said...

I'm in love with this. I really am. Oh to have a craft closet such as this. Someday......

Ericka said...

I love this...and can't wait to see the end result! I am currently converting a closet in my laundry room into a office nook...hope mine ends up half as good as yours looks! Thanks for the inspiration!

Marianne@Songbird said...

This is turning out great! Thanks for sharing I am taking notes because I have a kitchen closet I want to do the same thing to.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

This is going to look FAB!! Thanks for sharing the idea!

Laura said...

Can't wait to see the finished pictures!!

A question off the subject...
Where did you get your dining table?
I love it!

Kelly said...

What a great idea!

pk @ Room Remix said...

I think this is such a great idea, and it's looking great so far. Can't wait to see the finished closet!

Sharlotte said...

What a great idea! I love your inspiration and you've got a fantastic start. Keep us posted on your progress!

Dusa said...

I see a Ve-mon-ta license plate! Woot! And your storage solution makes me feel all organizationally warm and fuzzy!

Chrissy said...

WOW! Looking wonderful. Will you post a pic of when all full??
Looks great. Looks very professionally done! Way to go!
My husband and I are on a bit of a kick too.. (we are trying to sell) and trying to get our butts into gear. It really is hard when he works nights and I work days to get into the clean/organize mode.
I thought I would pick up some inspiration from the book store called, At Home With Laurie Ann written by Laurie Ann McMillin Ray herself!
She inspired me on how to re-decorate and on a budget. I'm happy the way things are going, (they could be going better with help!) but I guess beggers can't be choosers!
One day we will sell this house and be onto bigger and better things.

Alely L. said...

it's looking great! bumped into your blog just recently and you've done some great projects. Many of you have inspired me! Will be a follower!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

What a great idea, and a great way to make your home fit the needs of your family. Can't wait to see the finished project!

MelsRosePlace said...

Oh my gosh - how inspirational are yOU?? wish i could do the same to my girl's wardrobes as they are an utter mess and disgrace. Perhaps i will, look forward to following the progress on this one and love your blog, Mel xxx

Becca @ Blue Cricket Design said...

Ok.. I've got $34 and some change with your name on it if you come right now and do that to my closets! I know it's not much but I'll throw in some cookies and a adorable 9 month old who smiles all day long, on loan of course, to sweeten my offer!

This is fabulous!

Kristin said...

This is great!!! We are in the process of a big redo on my oldest son's closet as well. How do they collect so much junk? Have a great day! Kristin

Fawn said...

Wow, it's going to look awesome!! I'm quite jealous, actually. Can't wait to see it finished!

Joyce said...

This is looking amazing! Thanks fo sharing :) Can't wait to see it finished

danahollis said...

You might enjoy this blog. I just found it today and she shows how to make some great PB knock-offs! :)

http://knockoffwood.blogspot.com/