Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Place For Everything...


Let me start by saying that when it came to storing my gift wrap, my organizational skills were...well, non-existent.

For the past two and a half years that we have lived in this house, I have kept all of my gift wrapping supplies in a corner of our closet in our Master Bedroom.

Why?

The only answer I have is that the day we moved in, that was where it landed.

And that is where it has stayed.

Not only was it an ugly, cluttered mess to look at, but most often, I didn't even know what I had back there. So when it came time to buy a gift for someone's birthday, I would also buy supplies to wrap it...not realizing that I already had everything I needed back in the deep, dark depths of my closet.

But not anymore!

Check this out...


Ahhh...


Makes me happy!


Like many of you, we receive the Lowe's Creative Ideas Magazine that comes in the mail. The one that came in December featured a project that I immediately jumped on...


with an end result that looks like this...


And with project details like this...

it was a no-brainer.

We already had almost all of the necessary supplies, so the $85 cost estimate came way down.


We started with a sheet of peg board that was doing nothing more than collecting dust out in the garage...

I think it had probably been sitting out there for about two and a half years (yep - ever since we moved in), but it was left over from back when Will built his workbench and used peg board to hang up some of his tools and gadgets. It was no longer the prettiest or cleanest sheet of peg board, but with a coat of paint it would look good as new.

We did not follow the Lowe's guidelines on size. We had a specific spot in our laundry room where we wanted to hang it, so using all of our available space became the goal. Ours measures roughly twice as big as the one in the Lowe's magazine.

Will added supports to the back to make the peg board more rigid...


Then I gave it a coat of paint and waited for it to dry.

I used one of my favorite colors:

Benjamin Moore - Stratton Blue #HC-142


We bought three cafe rods at Lowe's that were less than $3.00 a piece.

(This turned out to be the only thing we had to buy for the project - everything else was already here.)



Once the peg board was dry, we laid it out on the table to measure out the best positions for the rolls of gift wrap...


We attached the cafe rods with the included hardware...


then hung it up on the wall, screwing through the perimeter frame behind the peg board and into the studs in the wall.

And then it was just a matter of going through all of my gift wrapping "stuff" and organizing it all to fit. We already had a box of hooks, so I pulled out what I needed and got to work...


Instead of buying cute, wire baskets like they used in the Lowe's version, I opted to use craft bags hung on a hanger to hold all of my cards and tissue paper...


It's not that I wouldn't have liked cute wire baskets, but the goal was to use what we had, not buy more. And as it turns out, the bags work perfectly...






As for gift bags, I saved only the ones that I actually thought I would reuse, and hung them in place. The rest got thrown away.

(I'm not one for saving bags that we get as gifts. I know that many people choose to save all of the bags and tissue that they get when they receive a gift, but I wonder how much of it they actually reuse? The bags that I chose to keep have come from Ellison's birthday's and I think they're pretty darn cute, so the possibility of reusing them is very likely...now that I can find them!)



I had no idea that I had this many balls of ribbon!

They all fit neatly onto small hooks...



A pair of scissors, so that I am never left searching for them...


Plenty of tape...


And three rolls of gift wrap that fit the season and my mood...

snowflakes

polka-dots in cool colors

and craft paper


The cafe rods simply pop out when you need to get the paper down or change out a roll.




I love that it takes up almost no room!

Using vertical storage is a huge space saver...






All I can say is...

it's about darn time we got all of that gift wrap out of our closet!


Not only will it be a breeze to wrap a gift now, but I am one step closer to having an organized closet that I actually enjoy walking into.


So I'm curious...when it comes to gift wrap, how do you keep it all organized?




P.S. I am posting this at:

68 comments:

pk @ Room Remix said...

This turned out so great Karla! You're going to be buying gifts just so you can wrap them. :-) Love it.

Annesphamily said...

Oh My Goodness! I love this idea! I better stop ignoring those Lowe's nifty idea's that come my way! I have gift wrap behind my office door and every time I open the door I think someone is jumping out at me because it falls all over the place! This is such a simple organizational tool! Love, Love, Love It! I do have a couple of the nice Rubbermaid gift wrap holders but some of the bigger rolls don't fit in that small space! Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Courtney said...

such a great project! :) I adore your blog and your ideas. This one is a definite keeper. I also have pegboard just sitting around not doing anything!

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Look at you! What a fantastic idea! And leave it to you to even make it look pretty. Thanks for linking up to the party.

P.S. LOVE the new blog design.

High Heels and Aprons said...

What a pretty idea... I wish I had some space for something like this!

Ally @ High Heels & Aprons

Cindy said...

this is great, thanks for sharing! marking it for the future, when I actually may have a place to hang a pegboard :)

queenbee said...

Wow this looks great and is another project to add to my already long list. Thanks for sharing!

courtney said...

i love this idea. and i love pegboard. i hung a small piece in our master closet to hang all of my accessories on - small clutches, necklaces and scarves. looks like our house is getting another pc of pegboard. thanks!

Megan Lee said...

What a great idea! I love it! I could use one of these :)

Amy Kinser said...

This is great! How nice and handy to have...Congrats on your closet being closer to being like you want it.

Tonya said...

I love this ides, Great job! Now I just need to find a wall to put one on!

Mama Thompson said...

Oh I LOVE It...if only I had just a little more space in my craft closet....

1 Funky Woman said...

Luv it! What a great way to stash all your wrapping and cards. I am going to forward this to my sister, she has been looking for something like this, thanks!

Connie said...

Oh man, do I ever need that at my house. Very inspiring, I must put that on my list of to-do's, or maybe on hubby's honey-do list.

Room to Inspire said...

What a fabulous idea! Using the rods for the paper was genius. Love it!

Chelsea

KnittyVet said...

What a great idea- especially with dedicated tape and scissors- it always takes me twice as long to FIND everything than it does to wrap!

Erika @ BluLabel Bungalow said...

Great job Karla. I probably need one of those considering my kids' social calendar and the many baby/wedding showers I get invited to. Having everything in an organized place makes wrapping the gift as fun as giving it!

libby said...

Wow, wow and wow! LOVE IT!!! So wish I had room to put one of these up. Even still you've inspired me to really look at how I have my gift wrap organised. Thanks so much for sharing.

Libby

Kelly Brumley said...

This is awesome! Great Job, I wonder how I could adapt this to go inside a closet door....hmmm.

Tracy said...

Wow! What a great idea and it turned out so well. Way too go! = )

Samantha2818 said...

This looks really good. It's such a good idea. I have turned a small room into two smaller rooms (sounds nuts I know) but the back part of the room is now my study/craft area and I have floor to ceiling cupboards in this area for all my crap (I mean craft stuff) so this kind of thing would work really well on the inside of one of the doors. I'll add it to my already mile long of things to do!

Laura said...

OK. I am going to do this! Seriously! That is perfect. I have a little craft room, and I think I'm gonna do this in there. thanks for the inspiration!

foggogs said...

That is an awesome project! I love the blue you picked for it. I just need to find a spot to do it in around here!

misty w. said...

Now THAT is a great idea! Thanks for sharing....

Deb @ Confessions of an Ugly Mom said...

Wow. Just wow. That is so clever.

minivanlife said...

Wow, that looks fabulous!! Very impressed. My gift wrap is shoved into one of those rubbermaid gift wrap boxes.... and not very neatly I might add.

http://minivanlife.wordpress.com

Simply Susan said...

You did a fantasic job!

PlantSomeRoots@Lakewood said...

Great idea! Wow, this could be used for all types of stations and uses within a home (laundry, craft, etc).
Cindy at Lakewood

Dee said...

I love this idea! I was thinking that my laundry room needed something just like this. I'm off to Lowe's with your idea printed out!! Thanks!

Aja said...

Love this!! So cute!

too Blessed to Stress said...

Absolutely amazing! thanks for all the great photos and instructions. So you think hubbster would let me do this to all the living room walls? haha!

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It looks amazing! :) I love the way you chose to do a color on the peg board. I only save the best gift bags too. :) I donate the others to Salvation Army, and if they're really bad, I toss 'em!

Valerie said...

Fab.U.Lous. This is definately going on my project list. I am filing this at thecraftersfilebox.com

Thanks so much for sharing!

Stephanie said...

I absolutely love this idea!!

Ashleigh said...

This is way cool. Who knew peg board could be so chic?

momstheword said...

I am so happy that you posted a link to this. When I saw it on my reader I made a note of it so that I could show my husband. You did an awesome job and I'd love to do something like this too!

I really love your blog and enjoy looking at all the different things that you've done. You always give me such great ideas. Your son's closet was awesome.

Thank you for linking up today and I hope you'll join us again next week!

~ Nan

Katharine said...

Thank-you, thank you!! This is a wonderful idea and exactly what I needed!!

allthingsjuice said...

Wow, wow, wow! This looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing.

Beverly said...

I saw this in the Lowes book and wanted to make it. Now that I see how great yours is I really need to make it.

Heather@ theherberfamily.blogspot.com said...

Ok, you are SO organized, OMG! I looove it! I think I'm in love with how organized it is!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back next week to see which links from this week are featured, and to add your new links!

Katrina said...

turned out way cute!! i love the blue paired with kraft and brown Ü

Becca @ Blue Cricket Design said...

I'll be linking!

this blessed nest said...

many many thanks! i so need to do this. this is great. love the background color of the peg board - too!

Denise said...

Love it! You have inspired me!

Kaye said...

Very nice! Great job!

Wander said...

What a rockin project!
I love it!
My dream is a craft room complete with wrapping station!
Woohoo!
Feeling so inspired now!
Thanks.

Sarah @ Thrifty Decor Chick said...

I have this page saved too!!! Gonna do it, just don't know where. I love the cafe rods -- that's brilliance!

Simply Stafford said...

Love this, especially the cafe rods!

Kara@ Creations by Kara said...

Oh my. I am sooo jealous. That is simply fabulous!!!

Jessica said...

i have went back and forth about using peg board to oragnize my ribbon and such.... im sold! thanks for the great ideas and tutorial!!

Enchanted Rose Studio said...

Karla, this is uber fabulous! You did a great job on it! Thanks for the tutorial! I am so needing AND going to do this!

Cheers!
Tina

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

WHOA!!! That would sure make me smile!! Great job!

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Fabulous! I am going to feature tomorrow on my blog! So very creative! Thanks for sharing today. Thank you also for linking up to Thrifty Thursday!
~Hugs~
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Lori said...

Love it!! I'm going to attempt to do something like this in my craft room...

Thanks for joining "Get Your Craft on Thurs." I hope you can join the party next week.

Lori

Diann said...

great idea. nicely done

vignette design said...

I would love to be this organized for gift giving. Great idea. -Delores

Lamp Tramp said...

What a wonderful idea and great project. It turned out perfect!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Great job -thanks for sharing.

Ms. Bake-it said...

I love your new blog design! What a great idea for gift wrap storage and one I would love to utilize but alas, I am out of wall space in any of the places I would want to put this. I will add it to my idea book though so that when I have more space available, I can make it.

Thanks for the tutorial.

~ Tracy

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I'm drooling! I have to wrap a lot of stuff daily for my shop, and have a constant mess going on! this is great.

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That is great! I sure wish I had room to do this! Mine is stored in a one of the big plastic boxes that can be stored under the bed and then all my ribbon is in my hall closet.

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

wow! great place to hang all your craft goodies! wish i have the place to hang this at my home..

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Karla that turned out great! I've saved that page out of my Lowe's magazine too!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your great ideas!

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

What a great idea! Who knew that Lowe's was so clever?

Christi said...

This may be the smartest idea I've ever seen! Thanks so much for sharing this - I think I've got everything I need here, too!

sweetjeanette said...

I love this! This truly IS the perfect everything-where-I-need-it place!!! Thanks for sharing!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Hello, I recently found this post on Pinterest and LOVE the idea. Hope you don't mind if I will share it with my readers!
Veronica

Linda said...

Great organizing idea!!! I would love to share this on my blog...thanks!