Monday, February 8, 2010

Owen's New Room - The Big Reveal...


A quick recap of why this room was up for a makeover in the first place:

August 2007 - We move into this house and Will and Owen share a bedroom - just as they always have.

December 2008 - William turns 7 and begins asking for his own bedroom. Begging would probably be a more accurate description. (Keep in mind, we're a family of five living in a three bedroom house. There isn't a bedroom for him to move into.)

Summer 2009 - We remodel our rarely used (that's an understatement) Dining Room and it becomes the new Playroom for the kids and all of their toys.

Autumn 2009 - We begin to see the light (and are tiring from the 8 months of begging) - the benefits of William having his own room begin to outweigh the boys sharing a room any longer.

Over the course of a day, our Dining Room-turned-Playroom now becomes our homes 4th bedroom.


And that about sums it up.


Owen had a rough time sleeping alone in a bedroom without his big brother, so I did all that I could to show him how exciting it could be to have a place to call his own.

His very own.


For Christmas, the boys got to pick out new bedding that would serve as the jumping off point for the theme of their individual rooms. It was no surprise that Owen's choice was all about cars, planes, trucks and trains...


By sheer luck, the colors in the quilt perfectly matched the blues that I had painted on the walls two years prior. That saved me lots of time and money! I decided that we should use our energy elsewhere and build Owen a custom storage system in his closet that would house all of his...stuff.

Owen is a builder. A Do-er. An inventor.

As a result, he has lots of stuff...


Once his closet was done, I moved on to finishing the room.

I love how it turned out. I was able to re-use things that had previously been in the boys' room, but, to keep it exciting, switch it all up to look new and fresh for Owen.



Welcome to

Owen's "New" Room
...

Owen's "fort bed", with peek holes so that he can spy and see who's coming.

One of these days I will get around to painting words in between the ladder steps that say:

What's

The Secret

Password?







Vintage airline magazine advertisements from the 1940's...








Another vintage magazine advertisement for Beech Aircraft...





My Dad's old school books...








Owen made a paper chain for Christmas that he couldn't bear to throw away...

It is the perfect decoration for inside his fort.






A spot for all of his art...





Will always tries to tell me "Function over form!"

But I disagree. I think I have managed to make Owen's room function perfectly for him, while still satisfying my need to have a nice, pretty (we won't tell Owen that I just said that!) organized and cozy bedroom.


Even though it's Owen's room, we all love to be in there.

We play board games together. We read books. Owen is always building a new track...or two.

I think that's the best compliment I could hope for...

watching my family enjoy the rooms that I create.

It makes all of the time and effort that it takes to make it happen, more than worth it!




P.S. I am posting this at:

Metamorphosis Monday, DIY Day, Make Your Monday, Make It For Monday,

45 comments:

AnNicole@Our Suburban Cottage said...

Karla! You outdid yourself on this one. I love how you were able to create a room that's cute, but also completely reflects your son's sweet personality and interests. And how cool is it that he has a fort bed! My son would have loved this room at that age. Great job!

{ L } said...

This room is awesome and very exciting!! I feel so inspired right now to go to work on my boys' rooms. The style you chose is super cute too.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

Perfect! As the previous comment says, I'm inspired to work on my boys room after viewing this room you did for your son! Enjoy it with Owen! Janell

SmilingSally said...

Cute. Happy Blue Monday.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

It looks GREAT....You did a fabulous job...

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What a wonderful room! I imagine that Owen will spend a lot of hours in his room creating, imagining and dreaming. Very, very beautiful (in a boyish sort of way)!

Val in the Rose Garden said...

It looks just amazing! I have always liked those retro boy colors. Fantastic job!!

Blessings,

Val

Bunny Jeans Decor... and More! said...

I have enjoyed looking at a few of you previous post today. You are very creative and ambitious.

Your house is lovely and has a very comfortable, livable look to it.

Talk to you soon ;)
Bunny Jean

Irene said...

What a cute and functional room. It's such a classic boys room. I love it!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It is a perfect little boys room - now I've got to go tweak my little boy's room!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

It is a perfect little boys room - now I've got to go tweak my little boy's room!

Jenn said...

I love the stripes, colors, stuff...everything! You did a fabulous job!

Rach said...

So so adorable! I love it.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

What a great room. I love all the attention to detail and the way you made it refelct him so well. Great job. Hugs, Marty

Jill said...

Just the cutest boys room ever!

SmallStepsForLola said...

WOW! Looks GREAT! :)

Danielle @ Transforming Home said...

Looks great! I love that loft bed with the play area underneath - he will love that as a teenager..

Danielle

Erin Zacharda said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the wall stripes! Do you remember what colors you used? Sorry if you already answered that in an older post...

heather said...

Love the vintage advertisements! Where did you find them?

And the "what's the secret password?" idea is brilliant!

Thanks for sharing...looks like the perfect hideaway!

Colin's Mom said...

This is amazing! Function and fashion in one room? I didn't know it was possible to make a kids room look so grown up yet so liveable for a little boy? Great work!

Lovely Little Nest said...

I love it! Functional AND adorable ~ great job! :)

Cottage Dreamers said...

You are so talented! I love how you used different shades of grey and the vintage pieces, not to mention all of the custom work you did.

Mandi @ Finding Home said...

This room so needs to be in a magazine! Such a cool space! So much to look at. Wow, phenominal job!!

Melanie said...

You did an unbelieveable job! It is amazing.

Sharla said...

This is awesome!! And I've been thinking of making our boys' walk-in closets more functional (organizing toys!) and this is the perfect thing to show my husband. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Billie said...

Too CUTE...don't tell Owen I said that :) Really, the room is AWESOME and any boy would love to have a room like this one...KUDOS to you!

Aja said...

This is too cute!! Love the stripes on the walls. Where did you find the vintage magazine ads??

Kelly @ Make It Sparkly Mama said...

This room turned out fabulous! Great Job!

Wendy said...

What a perfect boy's room! My son too is a car, truck, boat, air flying kind of kid and when he saw that little red truck he was awestruck :) Super Cute!

bec4 said...

This is so cute. Also thanks so much for linking up with your wrapping center--the tension rods were genius (I couldn't comment on that post). I hope you link up again this week!

the gypsy chick said...

That room is absolutely ADORABLE! Where ever did you find the little red truck?

Miss OFF Duty said...

You did an amazing job on everything, really.

Frugal Home Design said...

Perfect! Just like all your other stuff. Great job. I love it.

Leigh of Bloggeritaville said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!

Tiff @ Making The World Cuter said...

That fort is fabulous! All the ads and the closet and everything...seriously a great room, I want to play in it!
Thanks for sharing it with me! :)
-Tiff

Room to Inspire said...

His room looks great - I especially love the space under his bed. I am sure he just loves it!

Chelsea

Katy said...

That is a wonderful room. We have a family of five in a 3 bedroom house and I keep trying to think of creative ways to either divide the boys room or just let it be. i'm going to overhaul their room this summer. Our daughter's bedroom is darling, but she's rarely in there.
Love the bedroom you created!

2sisters said...

It's absolutely darling! I love little boys and their planes, trucks and trains!
teri

Ms. Bake-it said...

It looks fabulous! I think you did a great job! Not only is it functional, but it is also a comfy place. I miss being able to decorate rooms for my boys. I used to change their rooms about once a year and always had a great time doing it.

~ Tracy

fawnda said...

Great Room! It looks like it should be in a Pottery Barn Catalog! I love the fort bed!

queenbee said...

this is such a cool room, my five year old would love to have a room with a fort bed. Do you have the specifications used to build the bed? If so I would love for you to share. Thanks

kirstin & jordan said...

LOVE this! I love all of the vintage-y transportation frames...
We need to make my son's room from a nursery to a big boy room soon, thanks for the inspiration!
If you're interested, tomorrow we have a friday fun find party that we'd love for you to link up to!

Sandy said...

Your son is 'one lucky young man' to have such a beautiful room...


http://thewondersofdoing.blogspot.com/

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

What a beautiful room. He must be thrilled to have his own space now. I love the vintage airline ads. Where on earth did you find them?

Thanks for linking up this beautiful space to Make it Yours day!

Alison said...

This bedroom inspires me!! I just love it. Thanks for sharing all of your fabulous ideas. I featured this post on my blog http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/02/wednesdays-wowzers-all-about-cars-and.html. My sister is wanting to redecorate her little guy's room with a cars and trucks theme, so she was pleased to see your ideas!