Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Board And Batten: Part Of The Workshop Series...


Have you been following the Workshop Series?

Donna from Funky Junk Interiors...

and Miss Mustard Seed from Mustard Seed Creations...

are the founders of this fantastic idea!


This week, I am happy to be a part of it.

Why me?

Because this week, Donna is talking all about Board and Batten.

M-hmm...right up my alley!


It's been just over a year since we wrapped our lack-luster family room and kitchen in our own version of character building Board and Batten. And just over a year since we won Apartment Therapy's February 2009 Jump Start Project for "Best In Decor". We had written a "How To" for our Board and Batten treatment and we were thrilled to receive the recognition...



So how do we feel about it now that we've been living with it for more than a year?

Exactly the same as we did when we first put it up.

No regrets!


As you will see, the layout from our room has changed (several times, to be honest), but the Board and Batten remains...









Around the family room we added a ledge with a groove cut through it, kind of like a plate rail. It's the perfect place to prop up star fish and sea shells...






We kept our spacing at 12 inches...for the most part. When it came to areas like under the windows, it was really important to me that the vertical strips fall evenly underneath the window sills. Will wasn't so sure. He was convinced that if we didn't keep the strips evenly spaced all the way around the family room and kitchen that, surely, people would notice. I am happy to say, that no one has ever noticed that our strips on this particular wall are spaced specifically to accommodate the windows, and not a number on the measuring tape.

:)

It was the right decision. There are just certain spots where symmetry is key!


On our longest wall we had to take into consideration our large switch plate. I didn't want to have to cut a vertical strip to go around the switch plate, so we placed a strip directly against it and then measured for all of our other strips off of that line. In this case, it was the best way to avoid drawing more attention to a very large (and poorly placed, if you ask me) bank of switches...





To see our full tutorial on How To: Board And Batten, click here.

To see all of our Before & After photos, click here.


And be sure to make your way over to see Donna's post at Funky Junk Interiors. She's giving a full tutorial and showing you her own interpretation of Board and Batten on a feature wall in her bedroom and in her kitchen. Leave it to her to spin it in a whole new way!

And as an added bonus, she's hosting a Board and Batten Linky Party!
So link up those rooms - you know you want to!


Thanks for including me in your workshop, Donna! XO




27 comments:

Mama Thompson said...

man...all this board and batten talk is just getting me more pumped for my family room. Thanks for suggesting that we do it in my home....I can't wait to get to that step in the process...we have a LONG way to go...can't wait to show you. Hope to talk to you soon:)

Amber said...

It looks so great, you were my insiration to do ours, and I love it! Yours is so beautiful

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Thanks Karla! I'm loving the pictures you just took too! The ledge addition shot is awesome!

I sure appreciate you jumping in with your pro feedback on this topic! As far as I'm concerned, you two put board and batten on the blogmap. :)

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest said...

I have loved this space since I first saw it! :) I've been thinking of adding b&b to my own home, so this is perfect timing!
Blessings,
Stacey

Michelle Hoad said...

I love how high you put it. You did an amazing job and it is gorgeous.

Joy@thiftyparsonageliving said...

I have loved this room ever since you first posted it. Thanks for adding more photos for us to enjoy. I love the colors you have choosen as well. Great job!
Joy

Kendra Joyner said...

What a beautiful room!! I've been visiting all these blogs related to the board and batten workshop...so incredible...it's so inspiring. Thanks so much!!

Elisabeth said...

I am behind the times but still want to comment on the door issue. I think it looks great how it is and I wouldn't cut it up. I have a tv cabinet with doors that don't open up all the way to the sides. It drives me crazy. I hate the way it looks, and the younger kids hit their head on it all the time. You have to think about how it will actually function besides what it will look like, and people hitting their heads would be an issue for me. In my house, people are always running around not looking where they are going. I know it will swing into the room, but I still think it might drive you nuts having that when you're in there. Anyway, if you decide to do it anyhow, at the very least don't put plexiglass in it and ruin that nice wood! Of course, that's just another opinion, do whatever you want!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

I think I would be happy with board and batten if every room. I love it! Your blog was one of the great inspirations for me. Thank you!

Richella said...

This was the very first thing I ever saw at your blog. I remember being entranced by it all those months ago. . . and I still am. It is absolutely stunning. And it's good to hear that you still love it just as much!

Merritt said...

Every time I see this family room, I swoon! Love, love, love. It's like one of those magazine pictures that you see and wonder who could really live in such a beautiful place. Karla does! Thanks for the tips and inspiration!

Andrea said...

I absolutely love your board and batten and decorating style. Would love to do this in my living room/dining room but I have 18 foot ceilings in those adjoing rooms. . . I have no idea how something like this would look with such tall ceilings. . . suggestion? I feel like I need to add something to that (large) room. . .

ScrappinAway said...

Your room is absolute gorgeous! I did a board and batten technique in my daughters room and found your site while doing it, so when I did my blog post I linked to yours. You can see it here:
http://pgmscraps.blogspot.com/2010/03/nursey-to-little-girl-room.html

I hope it was ok to link up, if not just let me know and I will take it down!

High Heels and Aprons said...

Hey Karla! My husband is an electrician... I'd bet if you made him a steak he'd come over and re-position your bank of electrical switches wherever you wanted them! I had him make me an outlet about 4 feet up on a wall in my closet. He doesn't even ask me "why" anymore... he just does it. :)

Ally

Emily Call said...

Beautiful! I love it... it is so soothing and comfortable!

simpledaisy said...

Just stumbled onto your blog...love it!! Your home is lovely:)

Kimmy said...

I'm SO doing this and I can NOT wait to show you what you have inspired me to do... I've even told my neighbor I'm gonna need their saw. I really think that I can do this... it's going to be white on white though... I think it will still look nice. SO HAPPY you inspired me! ~ kim

Southern Aspirations said...

So glad I have found your blog... LOVE this Board and Batten project and would like to do something similar in our entryway... off to read your tutorial!!

bargainblondie said...

Hey I am new to blog world and I just want to say your blog is beautiful. I just want to let you know that I will be following you. I can't wait to see what else you post.
Elisabeth

Robyn said...

YOur family room is lovely and it's one of my favorites over at houzz...the funny thing is that ours looks a lot like it! (blushing) We did our board and batten about 2 years ago and our blue is a bit more robin egg. Our ceilings are cathedral so it gives a slightly different look with the white ceiling, blue wall, white board and batten. And yes...I STILL love mine too! ;-)

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Karla, I totally love your project & tutorial & really think I'm going to do this in my little beach inspired guestroom. I think it would add so much to that room. Great job you & your hubby did! I appreciate all the up close detail shots too.

McCarty and Company said...

I love your home Karla!! Thank you for sharing. The Board and Batten is beautiful.
P.S. On sad days, this is the first place I go. Your home cheers me up. :-) OH and I also come here on happy days too. Your bog is at the top of my list. :-D

Cindy said...

Love this!!
Thanks for the inspiration!

Featherbed said...

Such a wonderful space - so calming :)

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

What a coincidence! I am about to board and batten my living room and after looking everywhere for some DIY inspiration, I remembered seeing your post a while ago and thought I'd revisit it, so I did, just when you're talking about it all over again! I was so surprised to open your blog and have it featured on your home page. Thanks for the design inspiration.
Kristine
xxx

Kristy said...

Love your style!

Niki Bobby said...

Thank you so much for posting pictures with your projects. Nothing is more frustrating than finding tons of "how to's" with no pictures, especially when you are trying something new. I love checking out your blog!