Monday, March 1, 2010

Our Lucky Craigslist Find...


Whew...it's been a while since I've posted.

Between bringing home a new puppy and then getting sick, blogging has fallen to the wayside. I have definitely missed it.

But, good news...things are back to normal now and I have several projects in the works!


First, look what we got...


We've been searching Craigslist daily (hourly) for hardwood flooring for our family room. So far...no luck. Our budget is small. Really small. So, we're just waiting (anxiously) to find the right listing.

But while we were searching we stumbled across a listing for just over 50 sq. ft. of pre-finished hardwood flooring for less than $1.00 per square foot.

It was too good to pass up!

And (bonus) the person selling it lived really close to us, so we drove over and snatched it up right away...


You're probably thinking "where will you put a measley 50 sq. ft. of flooring?"

Hmmm...



Welcome to our Master Bathroom...


You've never been here before because I have never been willing to show you.

But for the sake of DIY and the always coveted "Before" photos, please take a look at our

lovely carpeted Master Bathroom...



15 year old carpet.

Ughh...


So you can see why we jumped on the chance to buy pre-finished wood flooring for such a great price, right?


Now, ideally, we would be doing a major overhaul on this bathroom and starting from scratch. The bathroom screams 1995 with its mauve, floral tiles, but a remodel isn't in the cards for us right now.

Someday.

But until then we are happy just to get rid of the carpet.


Is hardwood flooring really the best idea in a bathroom with double sinks and a big, garden tub?

No.

But here was our train of thought:

We never use our bathtub. And I mean never. It's turned out to be a big, vacant space that holds our laundry baskets, and those just end up holding our dirty clothes and towels. If we had our way, the bathtub would disappear entirely.

In the future we hope that a big demo and remodel are what we can count on. When that happens, we won't be heart broken over tearing out this new wood flooring because:

1. We're only out $50.
(Pennies in the grand scheme of a remodel)

2. In the mean time, we get to live carpet free in our bathroom!

3. Laying hardwood floors in our bathroom will be great practice for us so that we know exactly what to do (and what not to do) when we finally lay hardwoods in our family room.


The directions on the flooring state that you should let it sit in the room that it will be installed in for two weeks prior to installation so that it can acclimate to the temperature of the room. We're about halfway done which means in about a week, we'll be ripping out carpet!

I cannot wait!

For now, we'll keep checking Craigslist for 280 sq. ft. of Red Oak Pre-finished hardwood flooring.


It has to show up eventually, right?

Until then, I'll just keep reminding myself...

patience is a virtue.



26 comments:

McCarty and Company said...

Great find Karla!! That is going to be gorgeous in your bathroom. Have you ever heard of peel and stick tiles? They sell them on Amazon.com. I follow Young House Loves blog, someone posted about them there. They are inexpensive and may be a solution for the tile in your bathroom, until you can do the real makeover. Just a thought, we are considering them for here. We rent, so always go cheap, yet it has to be cute/stylish. :-)

McCarty and Company said...

Oh I forgot to say, they are the type of tiles you can put behind your backsplash, but come in several colors. They can also be put over existing tile. :-)

Sarah said...

Hooray, I'm so glad you're back. We missed you! I can't wait to see your bathroom remodel. It's gonna be great, I just know it!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Candy Allen said...

I love that idea! $50 CAN buy happiness! Hehe. Our master bath looks so similar to what you've shared (circa 1994). The biggest difference, a leak sprung and soaked the carpet just before we closed on the purchase. We received the price to replace it with new carpeting(blah!), but never did! We've actually been walking on subfloor and rugs for THREE YEARS in the bathroom! Good grief!
Candy
Junk Sophisticate

M said...

What a score! I HATE carpet in spaces like Bathrooms or kitchens. It screams nasty germs.

Good luck on laying it!

Pine Tree Home said...

Great find. I totally love hardwood floors in bathrooms.

Lori E said...

The biggest challenge will be to get the toilet to the right height to clear the flooring.
Good deal for sure.

The Little Red Shop said...

How wonderful! If you happen to see any giant restaurant style metro shelves while your on cl...I need em'!

Happy new floors (almost!)

: )

Julie M.

Jenni @ nest to keep said...

Oh, that IS a great find! It will look so good in your bathroom! And hopefully you will find the flooring you want for your family room, too! :)

Have a good night!

laura @ so alaurable said...

That's a great find! It's the perfect solution for now, for all of the reasons you stated!

TheVirginiaHouse said...

I'm searching CL for the same thing, only I need more like 1000 SF!! Good for you, that will make a huge difference in your bathroom. Can't wait to see it!

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Score!!! Great find!

Allie and Pattie said...

We've dealt with this in a different house. Look, it's the master bath- so you lock the bedroom door and shower with the bathroom door open and you shouldn't have to worry too much about moisture issues. Great deal! Carpet in a bath - WHO ever came up with that brainstorm??
xoxo Pattie

Miki said...

Great find indeed! Good luck on your quest for more. I know what it's like to check and recheck Craigslist looking for that ONE thing you just have to have. I am so glad to hear someone else admit they use their bathtub as a laundry tub as well. LOL! Mine comes in handy for washing blinds, bulky toys and dying fabric when the laundry is finally done. The bad thing about it is that it's so large of a laundry bin, it doesn't over flow so unless I need something that is dirty, I forget to do the laundry! It takes days to get caught up. We installed prefinished floors throughout our home and I guarantee we are not as handy as you guys are and it wasn't so bad, very rewarding :)

Sarah said...

What a great find. You should check out hursthardwoods.com as they have what are called red oak shorts. They are only 6-9" long but for .89 a sq ft we couldn't pass it up. We are getting ours at the end of this month. They do shipping and it's not real expensive. Just a thought. I know the pieces are short and it will take more work but that was okay with us since it saved money in our pocket.

Leen said...

What a find! What a difference it will make in that room.
Your master bath could be worse, ours screams 1984!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

The hardwood will look fabulous! Great idea. We have both Craigslist and Kijiji in our area, and prefer Kijiji.

Ms. Bake-it said...

Great score Karla! I love CL.

~ Tracy

Jennifer@3sonsandadaughter said...

Wow! What a jackpot! Hello, My name is Jennifer and I'm a Craigslist addict... I l-o-v-e Craig! I hope you find your other flooring. With Craig, anything can happen!!
Have a super day!

Jennifer

Michelle said...

I want to commend you first and foremost for your bravery! How difficult is it to step out on a limb and say our home isn't what we want it to be...but you are willing to do what is a priority for your family. Second...rock on with $50 wood floor. I love it!
www.containchaos.com

My Notting Hill said...

What a great buy! Love the idea of hardwood in your bathroom.

Melanie said...

We just moved into a new home and I hate the tile in our master bath. I would love to put down hardwood. Even though I use our tub every night, we would be easy with the water on the floor. I love the idea. Can't wait to see your finish bath.

acdc080109 said...

What an awesome find!

Just dropping by to let you know I gave you a sunshine award on my blog for your inspiring creativity. :)

Irene said...

That's a terrific deal!

Carpet in bathrooms...I never understood why people did that. Ugh!

Nishant said...

I can't wait to see your bathroom remodel. It's gonna be great, I just know it!
work at home in india

Twin XL said...

Such a good deal - lucky you!