Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thinking Way Outside Of The Box...


This is day 2 of my current project, and convincing Will that it would actually be successful in the end took a whole lot of smooth talking.

The idea came to me during the holidays last year. I wanted the hutch in my kitchen to be moved because it made for a slightly cramped feeling in our eat-in-kitchen, but there isn't another spot that we could have put it in our home.

So my crazy idea was born out of my desire for change, and Will's absolute refusal to not have to store any furniture out in his shop.

Thanks to my ability to think outside of the box, I got two new pieces of furniture from two old pieces of furniture.

The base of our hutch is now sitting in our family room right next to our kitchen, acting as a buffet and I love it! Can't wait to get some fresh paint on it!

The top of my hutch is now in...


Ellison's room.


Really!

And it looks like this...



Stay with me on this one. I know it doesn't look great right now, but hang on...

Ellison's dresser is the kind that acted as our changing table when she was a baby, but those days are now long gone. That extra drawer on top caused a bit of trouble in making this idea work, but we came up with a solution to keep the top of the hutch supported so that it could sit on top of her dresser. Will built an "L" shaped support to fit directly under the hutch so that once painted, it would visually be a smooth transition from one piece of furniture to the next.


The doors on top used to have glass in them, but we replaced that with left over beaded board that came from a previous project. I am storing all of the kids' bed linens up there, so having closed off doors is a must...



I love my hutch and getting rid of it is something that I'm not ready to do. Not only is it a great, solid piece of furniture, but it was one of the first pieces that Will and I bought after we got married. It has sentimental value to me. Luckily, I still think it's just as pretty as it was the day we bought it. But it has moved from house to house, through four different moves, and in certain areas it definitely shows it. A good coat of paint will have it looking brand new...



By day's end yesterday I had put two coats of primer on the top to even out the colors...


Will and I are heading to Home Depot as soon as I hit "publish" on this post and I'll bring home a gallon of fresh, crisp, white paint. Once the painting is done I'm going to give it a surprise pop of color to help further tie the two pieces of furniture together, and reinforce the girly-girl feeling of Ellison's room.


Don't tell Will, but I had my own secret doubts about this project. I so badly wanted it to work, but I wasn't certain that it would. The last thing I wanted to happen was to end the project with a massive piece of furniture that clearly looked like a crazy idea gone bad.

But I have to say...I think it's going to work!

Even with just the primer on we can already see what it's going to look like in the end.

I'll keep you updated on the progress.


And keep your fingers crossed for me that,

in the end, it all turns out just like I hoped!




22 comments:

for the love of a house said...

That was simply brilliant!!

Allie and Pattie said...

It WILL work! I know because I've done it!! I split a hutch in two once and loved both new pieces we created! Great job!!
xoxo Pattie

TheVirginiaHouse said...

I'm so impressed! Great idea and it looks like it will really work out. ***** for thinking outside the box!

Irene said...

Brilliant idea!

I can totally see the potential in that piece. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Isabella & Max Rooms said...

I like the way your mind works, this is going to be great!!! Janell

The Hopkins Home said...

I've done this before and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made! 2 great pieces of furniture for the price of one! Can't wait to see your finished project :)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

I think it's going to be sensational. What a great idea. I can't wait to see it and to see the buffet part too. Great idea. Hugs, Marty

Antonia said...

I love reading all of your great new ideas! We are building a house and I can't wait to get started in picking out everything and putting my decorating touches on it. Thanks for the inspiraton.

Frugal Home Design said...

I think it is going to look awesome! What color white paint are you going to get? I will be painting my kitchen cabinets this summer and I want to find just the right color.

Sarah said...

What a marvelous idea!!! I love it when I can creatively think outside of the box. I can't wait to see the results!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Michelle said...

You are doing great! I love the concept. I can take it one step further if you want to use the changing area as a "desk" of sorts in the future. If you can spare the top drawer, remove the drawer facing and re-attach it with hinges across the bottom of the drawer. On the inside of the drawer you can attach clasps to the front sides to hold the drawer face closed when not in use...then you just slide open the drawer, unlatch the drawer face, let down the drawer face and VOILA, instant pull out desk with lots of room for storing craft supplies in little containers. :-) Regardless, it is a great piece.

www.containchaos.com

jen @ the inspiration studio said...

What a great idea! I love how you found brand new uses for them -- and I think this idea will TOTALLY work! I can't wait to see the outcome!

Nikki said...

Nice, I bet it will look great!

Laurie - Little Blue Chairs said...

Well done. I can't wait to see it all completed.

A-M said...

Absolutely spectacularly brilliant. My kingdom for a handyman husband too. What great pair you are! A-M xx

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

totally a GREAT idea

Melanie said...

I'm sure that it will turn out great. All your projects do! Good luck.

The Little Red Shop said...

Sweet! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing your "new" hutch all prettily painted.

: )

Julie M.

Jenny @ Anything Pretty said...

Love the progress! I think it will turn out great!

Caroline said...

Love the vision, can't wait for the post!
Create Away!
Caroline

Nishant said...

I can creatively think outside of the box. I can't wait to see the results!
work at home in india

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Brilliant!
That is a Friday Favoite♥