Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Spring Break 2010...


It's good to be home!

We spent 8 days taking a road trip down the west coast in a 25' RV that we rented from Cruise America. Despite the crazy amounts of rain and hail that followed us down the coast and all the way back up...

We had a GREAT time together!


Scout came with us and he was perfect! We were a bit nervous about leaving a 5 month old puppy alone in the RV since we couldn't take him with us into restaurants and shops, but he was a champ. No accidents or surprises for us - just super excited to see us every time we came back...


Most of our days looked like this...

(Grey, but still undeniably gorgeous)


Every once in a while, the rain would stop and we could go out without our rain coats on...


And a few times, we got really lucky and the sun made an appearance...




I'll admit, the small quarters in the RV were a bit cramped for our family of 5 (6 with the puppy), but for the most part we had all the comforts of home.

Including homemade pancakes for breakfast...



We made it down to the Redwood Forest in Northern California.

Will had been when he was a kid, but I had never been before.

It was nothing short of amazing!


We stayed at a couple of RV Parks, but mostly at KOA's. This one here was in Waldport, OR - our favorite KOA that we stayed at...


There was plenty of sleepy time for Ellison cruising down the Pacific Coast Highway.

Sleepy girl...



Vacations are a wonderful escape from everyday life, but it is always, always nice to come home.


This vacation was especially significant for us.

It is the first time that we have ever been able to take a vacation during the kids' Spring Break from school. Normally, Will's flying schedule has him gone for part, if not all of it.

We weren't expecting to be able to do this. We wouldn't be able to with Will still out of work.

It was 100% planned on the spur of the moment.

And only because...unexpectedly, Will got a phone call from the Chief Pilot from Alaska Airlines telling him that he's being recalled.

HE GOT HIS JOB BACK!

It has been just over 6 months since he stopped flying.

A total of 12 pilots got the call and Will was #2 (based on seniority) on the list.

(12 is a pretty measly number considering there are still over 100 pilots and their families from Alaska Airlines that are without their jobs, so we definitely feel lucky that he is in this first group.)

We have been wanting to follow the coast in an RV for years. And once the call came, we realized that this was the time to do it. We made the reservation for the RV, put all of the projects we had been working on on hold, and started packing.

A couple of days later we were rolling down the road!

It was nice to unplug, get away from the projects and responsibilities of home and spend real and uninterrupted quality time with these kids of ours that are growing up entirely too fast.

We made memories that will last a lifetime!

:)


So what are we up to now that we're back?

Right before we left, Will laid the new wood floors in our bathroom.

My "FREE STUFF" door has been transformed and I love the final result.

The new door has resulted in a big makeover for the laundry room. It's coming along nicely, if I do say so myself!

And today...

TODAY

we are ripping out the carpet in the family room!

That's right. The time has finally come.

We found a great deal for pre-finished hardwood flooring on Craigslist and picked it up yesterday.

I will show you photos from each one of these projects soon, but for today I'll be helping out Will as much as I can to get this flooring project moving along.

Wish us luck!

I'm afraid to see what we will find under that nasty carpet.



Ahh...it's good to be back!




39 comments:

Allyson/HBMomof2 said...

New reader here, but I wanted to congratulate you and your husband on the job situation. You survived! Thrilled that you were able to vacation (It looked so fun.) and that you are on the road to many more projects I can drool over. Blessings to you and your family.

Rach said...

Wow, what an adventure! The pictures are beautiful.

anita said...

I am so happy for you all that you not only got to have this great vacation but especially that your husband got his job back! Fantastic! I have always wanted to see the redwoods. I hope you post more pics. The pacific coast looks so beautiful!

ashley said...

congrats on your hubby getting his job back! 12 is measily BUT at least the aviation industry is starting to pick up again! hubby is a flight instructor and has been doing it for 4 years now as we wait for the commercial industry to pick up so he can get a better job. congrats again!

looks like a great trip!

Janna said...

WONDERFUL!!!!! (all of it, the vacation, the pictures, your beautiful family, the adorable dog, your husband flying again)

foggogs said...

Looks like you guys made the most out of the weather. It is gorgeous there! I used to work for AK airlines myself at the reservations office in phoenix. I was there for 4 years. It is a nice company to work for. My husband was out of work for 4 months last year and it is always nice when they get back to work and the pressure is off financially. Congrats on it all- nice vacation, nice family time and a job!

12 weeks at a time said...

First of all Congratulations to you both for hubby returning to work! I love Alaska Airlines, it's the only one I fly with. And, I love the idea of renting an RV to go down the California coastline. There is so much to see and never enough time... Looks like you had fun!

KarenSue said...

We have rented from Cruise America several times. Even have done the same trip you did and loved it. We have 3 girls and it was crowded but fun. I worked for USAirways for 27yrs and would rather go RVin!
Enjoy your day!

duchess said...

Looks like a great trip. My hubby & I have talked about doing that same sort of thing.
Congrats on getting the job back, too. That's wonderful.

allthingsjuice said...

What a wonderful post in so many ways. I'm always curious about RVing and about the western coastline. And I love seeing pics of the family and puppy. And how WONDERFUL that Will has been recalled. God is good!

Mama Thompson said...

Will getting his job back just made my day..I am just thrilled for you guys. Also happy that you were able to take a well deserved family vacation! Can't wait to see all the projects. We (and by we I mean David) are tearing out the tile this weekend and hopefully the carpets will soon follow!

Emily said...

i've driven from washington {marysville} to arizona, san diego to washington. and countless trips to oregon but i've never gotten to drive the whole coast. it's something i'd love to do one day! looks like you guys had a great time.

Allie and Pattie said...

VERY happy for you! My hubby has been out of work for longer than I care to even think about and we keep praying this economy will pick up. And your trip looks like a wonderful memory maker!
xoxo Pattie

Becca said...

What a great time! Looks like you went to e'cola state park. We take a family trip to Seaside every year. It is such a beautiful area!

Heidi said...

That's great news about Will's job! We'll be flying Alaska Airlines to Orlando on the 24th- maybe he'll be our pilot? :-)

Those Cruise America RVs are a hoot! We went camping in one once and it was like being in a giant, rolling advertisement. It was nice to read about the good time had by all. Your kids will never forget it.

Heidi D. in Bellevue

Jennnifer said...

The views are spectacular! Have not been to that part of the country yet! So great to spend time w the kids...they grow so fast!

Cat said...

I didn't know you were on vacation, so I was beginning to get worried!

Jay and I did the PCH and down through Big Sur last year. I have bookmarked your KOA and Cruise America sites, because I would love for us to do an RV vacation.

Your photos are beautiful. Congrats to Will for getting back with Alaska Airlines. I know they fly everywhere (even out here to Charlotte) but I hope he gets on the beautiful routes out to our largest state.

I still love, Love, **LOVE** our new bedroom, thanks to your inspiration! The only problem? The color, the bookshelves, the curtains, make it feel so spa-like that I like to loll about in bed every morning just soaking it all in. I mean, I REALLY LIKE to just lie in bed and take in the soothing environment. I've been a little late to work a few days!

Did you get the before/afters I sent? :)

Oh, and my house cleaner's first question upon seeing the new room: "What color did you use?" And then, "Who is this who came up with the curtain idea? Can you send me a link?"

Glad to see you again. Looking forward to the new projects.

Yoga Gal said...

I am very happy for you guys! What a wonderful trip (and how great that you were able to relax and enjoy it). Hurray!

Elizabeth (blue clear sky) said...

That looks like it was a wonderful vacation, and perfect timing indeed. So glad Will is back to work. Looking forward to flooring and door reveals.

1 Funky Woman said...

The news about your husband's job is wonderful. How great that you were able to have a great trip knowing this. I love your Corgi, we have one that is named Theodore and he turned 1 in November. Yours is such a cutie!

emptynest4two said...

Love the beautiful Washington/Oregon weather. I am so excited for your family with the call back to work. We went through a furlough at American many years ago and I remember how exciting and grateful to get that call to come back. So happy for you!

Terri(TerriBoog) said...

What a lovely vacation despite the rain! That is something I wish we had done when my boys were younger - great memories were made, I know!

Sarah said...

Hooray, I'm so happy to hear that your husband got his job back! I've been praying for your family. GREAT NEWS!!!
God's blessings,
Sarah :D

Twin XL said...

Really great pics - thanks for sharing!

Andrea said...

So happy that your husband got his job back (Alaska is my favorite airline btw;) and that you were able to plan a fun, spur of the moment family trip!

Can't wait to see the new projects!

Maya said...

I'd love to go on a road trip like that, and have been thinking about it...., now I want it even more!!

Rachelle said...

Congrats on the job back~ but it's so funny, I'm a long time reader of your blog, but never realized I guess that you're somewhat in the same area I am. Your vacation photos looked so familar to me! I live in Seaside, and so I drive by those areas quite frequently : ) Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Terri said...

Karla, this trip looks so great! I went straight to Cruise America to check it out, but unfortunately they aren't doing 1 - way rentals from Northern California in June, when we're going. :( Congrats on the job!

Melanie said...

Oh wow, what a great trip! I live in northern Ky. but we have been down the coast from Washington State to LA and loved every minute of it. We thought about renting an RV. I am so glad that y'all had a great time.

Marie said...

Hello sweet Karla - wow, such wonderful praises! Great photos of your vacation! So thankful that your hubby got his job back. Looking forward to seeing your finished projects.

Blessings,
Marie
http://emmacallsmemama.com

Rey and Meegan said...

First time looking at your blog. Your vacation looks like so much fun! Beautiful pictures!! My mom, brother and I left our families at home, and made this trip about 4 years ago. From L.A. up to the Redwoods. We stayed in a qaint town right outside of Mendecino-Big Little River. Absolutely amazing! Can't wait to do it again. With my hubby this time :)
Glad to hear about the job!!!

Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

WOW...even the gray days look nice there! Looks like a beautiful trip.
Congrats on the job!!

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...

Oh my gosh, that is so funny - my family has almost that exact same picture from when we went to the snow when I was about eight.
xxx

bargainblondie said...

I am glad to hear about your husbands job. It looks like you had a great time and the pictures are just beautiful! Although I bet it feels good to be home. I know that there is no place like home!

~Elisabeth

My Dream Canvas said...

Congrats about the job. We did a road trip to the pacific coast in Dec..it was gorgeous. Lovely pictures. I love your blog Karla. Do visit mine at www.mydreamcanvas.blogspot.com
Thanks!!

Jenn said...

that is great about his job.

I loved looking at these pictures because this is home to me! We spent a lot of time on the oregon coast last summer - spent over a week traveling from Florence North. This year we're planning on spending time to the south - we want to go to crater lake and the redwoods and you're pictures have me so excited for July :) thanks for posting. You just reminded me that it really is ok to not go to disneyland and spend time in the great outdoors with my kids!

Angie said...

Looks like y'all had a wonderful trip and that pic of the Redwoods Forest is amazing!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

I've always wanted to rent an RV and go up the coast. (I'm in Northern California, so we'd be going in the opposite direction!)

Did you have a chance to drive it? I'm afraid I'd make my husband do all of the driving and parking!

inadvertent farmer said...

I thought I recognized that coastline...then looked on your sidebar and indeed you are fellow northwesterner! I'm glad you husband got his job back and glad you got to enjoy our wonderful (and wet) Pacific Coastline. Kim