Thursday, August 12, 2010

Lighter & Brighter...

Progress on the bathroom makeover is s-l-o-w going, at best!

Projects normally happen at a pretty rapid pace around here, but this summer has been different.

With Will flying up in Anchorage so much, and the kids home on summer break, it means projects fall by the wayside and summer fun takes a front seat.

And I'm not complaining! That's exactly as it should be!

(The summer fun, I mean. Not about Will being gone so much. We miss him!)

But I have been wanting to give the bathroom across from our kitchen a makeover for quite some time now, and when I finally convinced Will to cut some wood for me, I had to jump on the opportunity!

The goal:

To make this bathroom fit in with the part of the house that it is most closely connected to - the Family Room and Kitchen. If you have read my blog for any length of time, you probably know that quite a while back we gave our Family Room and Kitchen a big makeover by adding Board & Batten throughout the entire space. A decision that I don't regret and have yet to grow tired of.

The bathroom across from our kitchen has spent the past few years looking like this...

I wouldn't say it's terrible, but just not very special either.

This teeny, tiny 3 & 1/2 by 7 & 1/2 foot space receives no natural light whatsoever.

Not a bit.

If I had my way, a Solatube would find it's way into the ceiling, but Will assures me that this won't be happening anytime soon.


So, to tie this bathroom to the Family Room and Kitchen and bring in the feeling of "light & bright", we put up more Board & Batten...

Here is the Before:

And the...Almost-After:

(like I said, this summer has kept projects from happening quickly! It's not quite done.)

One of my favorite parts of this B&B treatment is that we added something at the back that is perfect for this space. You can't even tell that it's there currently, but once the space is painted and decorated, it will be the perfect addition to make the space more functional.

Can you tell what it is?

It's a shelf at the back, integrated right into the B&B!

A simple 6 &1/2" shelf is just what I need for propping up a frame or two, a scented reed diffuser and a few pieces of decor to bring the room together...

We just ran a piece of trim in front of the shelf, that perfectly matches the rest of the trim and it blends in seamlessly.

I love it and I cannot wait to decorate!

But first, the B&B needs a 2nd coat of paint as well as all of the existing trim and the door.

I'll finish it all one of these days.

If nothing else, school starts in 3 weeks and the projects can commence!

The passion for decorating is a pretty big motivator and I can't do that until everything else is finished.

Stay tuned...

**To see our take on Board & Batten and how we do it, click here.**

*And to see the follow-up to that post, click here.*


Don't forget...

Friday is your last chance to enter the giveaway for the

$50 Gift Certificate


Ruffles & Cream

Click Here to check out all of the details.


Kristi said...

It looks much better! Love the color you chose and of course, the B&B. I'm dying over here, to try that at my house! BTW, I really like that fern print you had in there before.

Simply LKJ said...

I know the feeling...we have so many unfinished projects around here. Youngest just went back to school Monday, so now that a routine has somewhat been established, maybe? we'll get around to finishing some of them. I love what you've done and the color is gorgeous!! I would love to add some board and batten in our home, just not sure where.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Wow Karla, You are reading my mind! I was just telling my husband that I'd like to do this to the half bath we are adding on at the moment. It's small also, 5x5. I was trying to explain it to him in the car but now I have a picture to show him of a bath with it!

Did you remove the toilet to do it or work around? I did the same thing with a shelf in an old house only on top of bead board. It's a great handy spot and I will repeat it again. Love the color you chose too!

Susan said...

Nothing wrong with it before, but it is so much prettier after! I love the shelf that you integrated. I have *got* to do some board and batten myself one of these days...I just love it!

Lauren said...

What a pretty color for a bathroom-very spa-like!

Pattern Imprinted Concrete said...

Nice post! the color is beautiful i like it , so interesting...Thank you for sharing it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

It's lookin' good!!!

carlytee said...

I just found your blog and I'm so happy I did! Your house is so inspiring! Love the color choice and b&b in your bathroom.


Elyse said...

looking good and the paint colors are wonderful.


Sara said...

It looks fantastic! So put together!

Anna See said...

I just love the board and batten and that LOVELY color together. Great job. Zero projects done around here this summer. I wilted in the heat. :)

Jessica said...

Wow! I love it. What color did you use? It's fabulous!

Erin said...

I love this! I really want to try the B&B, but we live in Florida and have textured walls and metal studs in the walls:o( Any ideas on what to do? I love the paint in this bathroom, can you share the color?

I am new to your blog, and love it so much. I have already painted my son's room since I discovered it. Thanks for the inspirations!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

I love this!! I might have to give the wood work a try in our playroom :)
Enjoy your day!