Tuesday, September 7, 2010

My Clearance Tray - Three Ways...


A few weeks back, I was lucky enough to catch a great clearance sale. I happened to be at Target, browsing and looking for inspiration when I realized that they were rearranging merchandise and putting out their 75% Off signs.

Nice!

They only had a few of these...
A Photo Serving Tray - originally priced at $19.99, but marked down to $4.98.

SOLD!

I knew immediately that I would not be using it for photos, so as soon as I got home, I removed the entire back piece and pulled out the matting. I was left with this...

The perfect blank slate to make it my own!

Over the next couple of weeks I found 3 different placemats to use inside my serving tray - all three within the same neutral color family and all three with lots of texture and interest.

The one on the left came from Fred Meyer for less than $1.00 (can't beat that!) and the others came from Target...


This seagrass one was a no-brainer...


This one was the right color and I loved the embroidered pattern...


And this one, well...I just can't resist stripes...


A quick test run to make sure I actually liked each one in the tray...



Yep - good to go!


I removed the entire back (again), not where the photos would be inserted, but the entire back...


Fourteen teeny-tiny screws later...

finally!


I used the back as my template and used a pen to trace the shape right onto the placemat...




Perfect fit!



Onto the next, using the same process...


It wasn't until after I had drawn the lines that I realized that this placemat was lined. And suddenly I was nervous that without the lining the stitching would all fall out as I cut out the shape...

(Note: I do not sew. I know nothing about fabric and thread and whatever else goes into it. So if this "worry" of mine sounds ridiculous to you, it probably was.)



I used extreme caution with this fabric (whether it was necessary or not) and, luckily, the thread all stayed in tact...

Pretty!


Two down, one to go...



I have to admit, I did feel a little bit guilty cutting up three
brand new, perfectly good placemats...


But I got over it!

I loved how they were turning out...

Now the fun part...accessorizing!

A beachy look for the seagrass...



For the golden embroidery - a touch of nature.

I love how the green Jade plant and the green mussel shells play with the yellow.


And with the stripes - some fun for the kiddos!

Some brain teasers, wooden tic-tac-toe pieces, and lollipops...



And that's my clearance tray - three ways!

The best, BEST part...I can change it as often as I like! And the options are limitless.

This is a Made-for-Karla accessory right here.

:)

My only regret...that I didn't buy more of them when I had the chance!

I think this would make a great gift for someone, personalized to their style and decor.

I'll just have to be on the lookout for more!




P.S. I am linking to:

Metamorphosis Monday, Get Your Craft On, Just Something I Whipped Up, Show & Tell, Before & After Party, Make It Yours, Works For Me Wednesday,


26 comments:

Jane said...

I LOVE the way you repurposed and personalized a rather bland piece. But, what a great bargain! I think I especially like the beachy theme, but they're all fantastic! I'm inspired to get on out to Target now that the seasons are changing and they're re-stocking.

too Blessed to Stress said...

The fabrics you chose are just wonderful! I love all the "views"and angles you photographed. Enjoy your wonderufl creation!

~Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Kristie said...

What a fabulous idea! They are all beautiful and the sea grass tray is definitely my fav!

Mr. + Mrs. B said...

Love it! I would also feel guilty but the end product was worth it.

northern cottage said...

Ahhh beautiful....check out my post from last week USING THOSE SAME TARGET TRAYS - You got them at an even better deal than me!!

northern cottage said...

oops here is the link: http://northerncottage.blogspot.com/2010/08/wedding-gift-breakfast-tray.html

Heather said...

I saw the same tray and didn't even think about removing the back! D'OH! I wonder if they still have any left at my Target?

Simply LKJ said...

What a great idea! I saw those at our Target awhile back, but they were still full price and a dark stained wood, not white. May have to go back and look again!!

Thirkellgirl said...

I have a tray very similar to that that I bought at a Hallmark store several years ago. It never occurred to me to put a PLACEMAT in the bottom (mine has glass over wood). I'm so inspired now!!!
p.s. You would be surprised if you knew how much time I've spent contemplating your bathroom wall hooks... lol

Thirkellgirl said...

I have a tray very similar to that that I bought at a Hallmark store several years ago. It never occurred to me to put a PLACEMAT in the bottom (mine has glass over wood). I'm so inspired now!!!
p.s. You would be surprised if you knew how much time I've spent contemplating your bathroom wall hooks... lol

Thirkellgirl said...

I have a tray very similar to that that I bought at a Hallmark store several years ago. It never occurred to me to put a PLACEMAT in the bottom (mine has glass over wood). I'm so inspired now!!!
p.s. You would be surprised if you knew how much time I've spent contemplating your bathroom wall hooks... lol

RACKS and Mooby said...

Great thinking! I like the sea grass one the best but they're all pretty. Nice job!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

Very cool and so easy! That is the best! I'm working on stenciling a tray today, a little more involved and I am thinking of ways to simplify the process! Janell

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

Oh so neat! Love the look. My fave has to be the one with the jade plant. :-)

barnscrapper said...

Great job! The tray is so versitile. A few small changes and it can look completely different. I like that aspect of the design.

Bella's Bowtique said...

You. Are. Amazing!

emily @ the happy home said...

these are absolutely gorgeous! i'm so jealous that you managed to find those trays for such a low price! early bird gets the fantastic home decor, i see!

i don't sew either, so I totally get your hesitation!

live by the sun, luv by the moon said...

Love it! I might just try my local Target just to see if I find one. Thanks for the great ideas!

Bringing Pretty Back said...

I would have never thought of that! It look so great!! I love all of them! Why can't I think of thigs like this!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

cushycottage said...

they were still ~$10 at my target. you're lucky to get them much less. like your decor pieces

decor4poor@blogspot.com said...

I love all three looks. I think I like the stiched one the best. Great job.

kelly said...

too cute! so did a top go back on to cover the material? they are all different and really fun, love the yellow's and greens!

yeoldesandwichshoppeva said...

I dig the stripes!

Jen Kershner said...

What a smart girl you are! It would not have occurred to me to use it like that. I LOVE what you did and I think I might have to search out some of those embroidered place mats. Love them!

jen @ {decor junkie} said...

What a great idea! I love how they turned out. Each one is so unique!

Amy Skehan said...

Wow-this is a great idea. I can't decide which one I like most. All three ideas are beautiful.