Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DIY - Flurries In A Hurry Garland...


Yesterday, the latest Land Of Nod catalog came in the mail. I love The Land Of Nod. But this time of year, my kids are all about it!

When the catalog comes, I have to quickly flip through it before they get their little hands on it, never to be seen again.

As I was flipping, this page caught my attention...

More specifically, the snowflake garland.


In our house, paper snowflakes are created from the first frost until the first signs of Spring. We must make hundreds of them (seriously!) from Fall through Winter.

I am happy to make them and I got lucky enough to have a child that, quite possibly, likes making them even more than I do. That's my Owen!

The colorful snowflake garland from The Land Of Nod, called "Flurries In A Hurry" (cute, right?) is made of felt...

...but who needs felt when you have construction paper? On hand. Ready to use.

Since today was a Snow Day and the kids were home from school, Owen and I got to work right away...


19 snowflakes later, we had our own festive garland!

And I love it!


I used regular string and thumb tacks to attach it to the ceiling - one on each end of the string, and one in the middle...


Every year, we always do white snowflakes, but with these,
it feels like a party in here!



So, not only is that more than $30.00 saved, but we didn't have to wait for it to be delivered, and...

the best part was listening to Owen point out all of his creations tonight during dinner, as we dined under a canopy of colorful snowflakes...


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...


Happy Holidays!

18 comments:

Rachelle said...

Love it! I might have to see if the girls want to do that this weekend. :)

xo

Get Your Martha On said...

Aw, I don't know what I like better - the snowflakes or the fact you made them together! Adorable, either way.

My boys would love this project, too. Thanks for the idea!

Robin said...

I love this project!

I showed your photos to my little crafter.

She reacted with a Loud gasp! Followed by a huge smile and a "we could totally do that!" - - that's my girl.

Thanks so much for sharing this project! We're off to cute out some snowflakes!

Itchin' Stitchin' said...

It's beautiful!!! You and Owen did a great job :)

Janine said...

That is such a lovely idea. My girls would LOVE that! What fun. Also a great moment to make some special memories together sitting around the table cutting out. I can't wait to get stuck in with my girls.

Simply Mel said...

The crumb and I will totally be doing this...although, I have a feeling they will all be pink if she is in charge!

Mammamusing said...

I really love this idea but am ashamed to say I don't know how to cut a snowflake

Astrid in Bristling Acres said...

Lovely snowflakes! I think my girls and I are going to have to make some too!

(too bad we haven't seen any real snowflakes yet. boo!)

Stacy said...

I love this! My kids and I may have to give it a go. Also, I'm not sure if you've ever mentioned it on the blog, but I'd love some info about the fixture over your table. I love it!

Susan said...

I absolutely, positively love this!!!

Holly Bierly Young said...

Adorable! I would love to make these and put them above my mantle! Thanks for sharing!

Lauren said...

these are great! i love that you decided against white and went ahead with all of the pretty colors!

Becca said...

Yeah for snow days! I host a linky party on Friday, if you'd like to link up!

Becca

becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

HALLELUJAHS said...

What a fun idea! Might have to give it a try with my munchkin! Thanks for being such an inspiration to me!

I awarded you on my blog today!
Blessings,
Holly
http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com/2010/11/and-stylish-blogger-award-goes-to.html

Aimee Cotton Bogush said...

So pretty! So fun!! Totally going to do this! We usually tape our snowflakes to the sliding door windows, but this is so much cuter! Thanks!

Jen said...

LOVE this idea!!! Great project for the kids (and adults..lol)!

LyndaB said...

We do snowflakes too - but I never know what to do with them! Those look just wonderful!

Amanda said...

Just dropping by to let you know that I linked to this post in a round up today from the Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) This will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/9-advent-calendar-ideas/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/